Coopers Community

beer not clearing

Jay

Hi all,

I created a post a week or so back about how I'd been fermenting a 'Becks style' beer at a lower temperature than it said to do on the tin.

The first 12 hours I fermented at about 23. And then brought it down to 18/19 for the last 9 days.

The beer is still very cloudy and I'm just a tad concerned I've fermented it too cold. I did a gravity reading at 6 days and it was 1015, so obviously a way to go yet. Havent done one since but it doesn't look like it would have changed much from that reading

Shall I stop fretting like an old lady and just be patient and wait, or should I change the temperature?....

cheers jay

Just take a gravity reading and see if it has changed. It's the only way to tell.

You are doing much better than me if you can tell whether a beer is still sitting at 1015 by looking at it [biggrin]

If it is still sitting on 1015 then let us know. What is your expected FG by the way?

Also, those temps are definitely not too cold. Those temps are really good (I'm assuming you used an ale yeast rather than a lager yeast).

I used the kit yeast from the Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsner. Pretty sure its a lager yeast.

Fair point that I don't know what the gravity is by looking at it, but it's pretty clear (ha) that it hasn't dropped much, it's got that milky kinda thing going on and I can still see things ascending and descending inside. Expecting a FG of 1005ish (it says on the tin not to bottle it any higher than that)

will do a reading tonight (10 days) and let you know.

I guess I should stop fretting then.

I could be wrong but from what I have read, the Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsner uses a lager blend yeast. It is probably like some of the Coopers kits that come with a lager/ale blend.

Those temps you have will be fine. If it was a true lager yeast you would be best brewing it below 15 degrees.

Lots of movement in the FV is a good sign. It could mean that fermentation is still going.

Just relax, stop fretting and let us know what reading you get. Even if it is stuck on 1015, your beer isn't ruined and there are a few tricks to get it going again.

Archived