Coopers Community

Help w/Mexican Beer using LME

MilitaryBrewer

I'm wanting to make a batch of mexican beer using malt extract. I know there's a Coopers kit out there, but I was wondering if anyone has a recipe using an LME and other additional ingredients (grains, hops, sugars, lime zest, etc.).

Please feel free to post up anything on here or msg me with any tips. Thank you and I really appreciate all your advice!

Happy brewing,

[lol] MB

Welcome to the Forum MB.

There are a few guys on here that brew the Coopers Cerveza and could give you a few tips. Unfortunately I'm not one of them.

I can give you one tip though: you will be waiting a long time for a message. For some reason the messaging on this site has been disabled [crying]

I quite like the Mexican Cerveza.

It's not going to wow you in any way, but it's a nice drinkable refreshing thirst quencher.

You can keep it simple with just kit+ can of LME, but I find it needs something to keep a bit of a head so usually add carapils or some wheatmalt.

Because it's sweet and light tasting you can easily play with it with hops and other ingredients.

I know that there are fairly recent recipes on here somewhere for a 'fruit salad' style beer and a ginger beer.

Both lok good if you can find them.

Thank you guys for the responses. I understand that I could use the can kit and add a few extra things to it, but i'm looking to stray away from the kits. My first 3 brews were from kits and they came out pretty decent. But now I'm looking to put on my white lab coat and advance my skills without the use of kits; all-grain/malt extract is what I'm wanting to do instead. Woo!

I'll keep searching I suppose, for a mexican beer recipe. Oh, any thoughts on maybe adding a touch of lime zest to the list? It was just an idea since I see others use orange zest on some lagers and ales...

Brewbrewbrewwwwwww,

[joyful] MB

You sound like me about a year ago MB! [lol]

I can't really help you with a Mexican beer recipe though, it's not a style I enjoy very much. In my experience they are quite watery and don't have much flavour (sounds like most Australian commercial stuff[lol]) so I would imagine hops would be minimal. You could probably dry a mix of 2.5kg light dry malt and 500g dex as the fermentables, I don't really know what hops would go with it though. I'd say a lager yeast of some sort fermented at 12-13C as well.

I've no idea about a full recipe for a cerveza but I'd imagine it would benefit from adding more dextrose than usual.

Maybe bitter with Galena, saaz later.

It's hard to find a recipe for a Corona style beer as threads generally turn to recipes about catpiss and skunks pretty quickly.

I did find this recipe though that might help a bit:

8.5# pale pilsner/lager 2 row

12 oz flaked maize

.5# Rice Hulls

(for Extract use 5.5# extra light DME and corn sugar)

.5# corn sugar

.75oz Tettnanger (90 min) (Use 1 oz at 60min for extract)

.5oz Saaz (10 min)

Wyeast 2035/wLP840

Keep secondary in a well (indirect) sun lit area (you want it to skunk)

AG 6.5 gal starting boil extract 2.5 gallon boil.

Source

Archived