Coopers Community

Is it Budweiser or Budwasser?

guest1525228310

Anheuser-Busch is accused of misleading beer drinkers about the alcohol content of Budweiser and other products, in a series of class-action lawsuits filed in federal court.

"In high-gravity brewing, you can make a lot more beer by stretching the beer that you have fermented," explains Dan Kopman, co-founder of Schlafly Beer, a craft brewery in Anheuser-Busch's ancestral home of St. Louis. (AB InBev is now headquartered in Belgium.)

Kopman says that adding water can help a brewer "stretch" the amount of the final product by at least 5 or 10 percent without changing the beer's flavor.

Is it time to add 10% water at the end of fermentation?

If it was only so easy. I looked into this and you need to use carbonated water because of the oxygen in the water. Works for the big guys though.

LOL Hairy, spot on! How they get away with calling it beer..? I'm an ex-pat yank and I'd never call Bud beer or drink it unless under duress!

Plenty of our more elderly customers add water and priming sugar to the bottles before topping up with beer. Some, as much as 1/3 water! I've diluted the brew with up to 100ml water per 740ml/750ml bottle with good results.

Try it with a couple of bottles and see how it goes.[biggrin]

Plenty of our more elderly customers add water and priming sugar to the bottles before topping up with beer. Some, as much as 1/3 water! I've diluted the brew with up to 100ml water per 740ml/750ml bottle with good results.

Try it with a couple of bottles and see how it goes.[biggrin]

Is this only recommended the elderly (like yourself it appears [biggrin] )?

What effect will it have on us young'uns?

I've diluted the brew with up to 100ml water per 740ml/750ml bottle with good results.

Thanks Paul.

Maybe I will keep a bottle of sterile (deoxygenated) water on hand when bottling to top up those bottles that are a little down and to finish of that last bottle that is always only 91% full.

I wonder if there is any difference in the final product of adding 10% water before fermentation or 10% at bulk priming time?

What a load of bullshit. Despite the fact that Bud is a crap "beer" but still better than VB, however they brew or add water, that is just their process.

The way it is presented, you would think water was some highly toxic substance that shouldn't be in beer!

I think the argument in the class-action isn't about adding water but about labelling beer as 5.5% when it is actually 5%.

Yeah that is the way I read it too Hairy.

Cool. My comprehension classes at school seems to have paid off [cool]

I think the argument in the class-action isn't about adding water but about labelling beer as 5.5% when it is actually 5%.

Yeah that is the way I read it too Hairy.

Except the tested beer matches the advertised % ABV. Not like it would be the first court case based on false accusations...

I really think some numbnuts heard about their precious Bud being watered down and decided to do the American thing and sue for "damages".

Is this only recommended the elderly (like yourself it appears [biggrin] )?

What effect will it have on us young'uns?

For those who are old (include me in that group if you like) or those who feel old (me again...). The process stretches the brew further and lowers the alcohol level - of course, dilution isn't for everyone and I haven't bothered to do this for many years[innocent]

High gravity brewing is common place, particularly for commercial bright (lager style) beer [whistling

Along the lines of John's comment; we often suggest to those who have small FVs, with foaming over issues, to only fill to the 18 litre mark and allow fermentation to do its thing then top up with cool water to the 23 litre mark once the krausen has collapsed [biggrin]

we often suggest to those who have small FVs' date=' with foaming over issues, to only fill to the 18 litre mark and allow fermentation to do its thing then top up with cool water to the 23 litre mark once the krausen has collapsed [/quote']

Paul, do you think it would change the nature of the beer if the addition was delayed even further to bulk priming time? That would just mean adding more water to the dextrose to get the final volume desired.

Dilution during bulk priming, using cooled boiled water, should give similar results to diluting in primary - would only be guessing at what rates of dilution and high gravity fermentation that quality suffers. I always felt that the 1/3 dilution would be too high but haven't done any trials.

Archived