Coopers Community

what flavours

IzacF

what taste does nelson sauvin have ???is it citrus like?

It does certainly have a hint of citrus among other flavors. Be careful with this hop as it will blow the other hops out of the worter.

Tasted a Vale IPA down at the Wine festival in Adelaide last weekend and it was fairly full on but quite enjoyable. Spoke to the head brewer and he said they used Nelson Sauvin, Citra and Galaxy as I recall.

I'm hopeless at describing tastes. Some people say it has a white wine grape taste and I guess that is close enough for me.

Here is some info on it:

BrewWiki - Nelson Sauvin

It isn't one of my most favourite hops but I like it when it is combined with other hops, like Cascade.

I've had a single hopped NS pale ale before and this was too much NS for me. I still drank it though [biggrin]

Follow John's advice and use it in moderation; you should be fine. It comes down to your personal taste.

what taste does nelson sauvin have ???is it citrus like?

It does certainly have a hint of citrus among other flavors. Be careful with this hop as it will blow the other hops out of the worter.

Tasted a Vale IPA down at the Wine festival in Adelaide last weekend and it was fairly full on but quite enjoyable. Spoke to the head brewer and he said they used Nelson Sauvin, Citra and Galaxy as I recall.

i have cascade and amarillo...i was thinking maybe id grab some galaxy???im just playing round thinking...thats dangerous[biggrin]

thanks fellas i think ill steer clear of it till i get used to this brewing thing' date=' cheers Izac[/quote']

No mate, give it a go if you are interested. The only way to tell if you like it is to try one.

Cascade and NS are the hops in Fat Yak. If you haven't tried one then give it a go. If you like it, have a search for some Fat Yak clone recipes and copy it.

thanks fellas i think ill steer clear of it till i get used to this brewing thing' date=' cheers Izac[/quote']

No mate, give it a go if you are interested. The only way to tell if you like it is to try one.

Cascade and NS are the hops in Fat Yak. If you haven't tried one then give it a go. If you like it, have a search for some Fat Yak clone recipes and copy it.

ill do that. im calling into a brewery this friday and ill be asking him a heap also. hes small brewery in Nowra named Hopdog....im doing alot of studying here

I really like NS. I usually just make each addition combined with Cascade or Centennial (usually 2 parts 'C' hops to 1 part NS).

Even then it certainly packs a punch. I find it to have a winey/passionfruit like flavour. [love]

Reminds me though, I haven't actually brewed with it for a long time. Better get on to it. [happy]

ill do that. im calling into a brewery this friday and ill be asking him a heap also. hes small brewery in Nowra named Hopdog....im doing alot of studying here

They have some nice beers there. In fact I had a HopDog Redhopulus (?) last week; it was a very nice beer.

im calling into a brewery this friday and ill be asking him a heap also. hes small brewery in Nowra named Hopdog....

See if they do the bottling themselves. It was interesting talking to 3 small breweries at the Festival and none of them did their own bottling - only the kegs. Two traveled to VIC and one to WA and use others facilities for brewing for bottling. They just rock up with their recipe and do the brew then head home again. They come back for the bottling in a couple of weeks. The hired facility minds the beer whilst fermenting.

im calling into a brewery this friday and ill be asking him a heap also. hes small brewery in Nowra named Hopdog....

See if they do the bottling themselves. It was interesting talking to 3 small breweries at the Festival and none of them did their own bottling - only the kegs. Two traveled to VIC and one to WA and use others facilities for brewing for bottling. They just rock up with their recipe and do the brew then head home again. They come back for the bottling in a couple of weeks. The hired facility minds the beer whilst fermenting.

from what ive read i think all they do is the bottling. but ill check it out and keep you guys posted.

They have some nice beers there. In fact I had a HopDog Redhopulus (?) last week; it was a very nice beer.

yes apparantly the owner Tim is no slouch..he invited me to call in so im going to try this friday arvo.....he seems a nice bloke

i read a write up when he opend and he sounds interesting...maybe he needs a taster????[biggrin]

Seriously?

Seems like a really odd way to go about it. I love the Vale IPA, so I'll try to forget that next time I'm drinking it. [innocent]

I can see the advantages if you are a small brewery and unsure if you will be around in a few years, but have some tasty recipes.

Seriously?

Seems like a really odd way to go about it. I love the Vale IPA, so I'll try to forget that next time I'm drinking it. [innocent]

Yes most seriously Phil. Bottling and pasteurization equipment is an expensive bit of kit unless you are doing large volumes. Vale run 2000 cartons at a time only. He uses US 05 in the ales.

No stuffing around with liquid yeast - When you hire a brew facility you have to get a clean, fast fermentation and get it packaged asap. Good way for a start up brewer to get into production within a limited budget.

Seriously?

Same beer Phil, just made in a different tank.

As John said, a bottling line is quite expensive .

Archived