Coopers Community

Ending Primary. Temp up or down?

Jay

Hi there, I've read a few differing opinions on this, so it would be great to get a definitive answer if there is one.

I have a Becks style brew on the go, using Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsener etc.

it is nearing the end of primary fermentation and wondering whether to bring the temp down or let it go up a bit? (or leave it as is) I've read some articles saying bring it down a lot (what temp?) and others say to bring it up to let the yeast clean up the beer.

I have it hovering around 19 at the mo. Which I'm hoping is correct (I'm going against the tin directions of fermenting at 22-30)

I'm assuming any advice I get would also apply to other brews like Ales?

Cheers in advance jay

I have it hovering around 19 at the mo. Which I'm hoping is correct (I'm going against the tin directions of fermenting at 22-30)

I'm assuming any advice I get would also apply to other brews like Ales?

Cheers in advance jay

I never raise the temperature of ale yeast fermentations only lager yeast for a D rest. I strongly recommend cold crashing for 2 or 3 days as an aid to clearing the beer.

As for the "clean up" phase of the yeast cycle, this is really quite a short phase and needs no longer than 2 days after FG has been reached.

I often wonder why people do not follow the manufacturers instructions on beer cans when using all the ingredients in the kit?

Are they deliberately misleading consumers with the recommended temperature range for the supplied yeast?

Do we know more than they do about their yeast's optimal performance temperatures?

Cheers John,

I was under the impression from reading on this forum etc, that the temperatures on the tins were generally to cater for the beginner with perhaps no setup for keeping temperatures low/consistent.

From what I've read people seem to encourage lower temperatures and for slightly longer fermenting times to make the beer clearer, cleaner, tastier etc.

My last brew was by far the best yet, and I do believe that most of its success was due to the fact that I'd fermented at lower temperatures than the tin said (19/20 after 1 day of 22/23, when it said ferment at 22-27)

Please everyone correct me if I'm wrong. Am I not doing the right thing here then. And should be following the tins exact instructions?

cheers Jay

Would Cold crashing stall fermentation if the brew was not quite finished? I have never cold crashed but would like to try it with the APA that has been 10 days in primary in the brew fridge. I will bottle friday night and would like to CC for 3 days, but i'm concerned that fermentation may still be happening

Would Cold crashing stall fermentation if the brew was not quite finished? I have never cold crashed but would like to try it with the APA that has been 10 days in primary in the brew fridge. I will bottle friday night and would like to CC for 3 days' date=' but i'm concerned that fermentation may still be happening[/quote']

I wouldn't recommend cold crashing unless you are sure fermentation has finished. As you figured, the cold temps will stall the ferment and it will start again when your bottles warm up. Potential bottle bombs there.

What temp were you fermenting at? I would be surprised if it wasn't finished after 10 days in primary.

If you check it today and tomorrow you may get 2 days chilling out of it.

Cheers John,

I was under the impression from reading on this forum etc, that the temperatures on the tins were generally to cater for the beginner with perhaps no setup for keeping temperatures low/consistent.

From what I've read people seem to encourage lower temperatures and for slightly longer fermenting times to make the beer clearer, cleaner, tastier etc.

My last brew was by far the best yet, and I do believe that most of its success was due to the fact that I'd fermented at lower temperatures than the tin said (19/20 after 1 day of 22/23, when it said ferment at 22-27)

Please everyone correct me if I'm wrong. Am I not doing the right thing here then. And should be following the tins exact instructions?

cheers Jay

since i found this site i brew at 18c or 22-24 and my beer doesnt taste like the same beer...made me realised what i wsas putting up with before.

i only use laundry tub with water and frozen pet bottles for control but it keeps around 22 quite nicely.

What temp were you fermenting at? I would be surprised if it wasn't finished after 10 days in primary.

20 deg Hairy, but i once bottled an Amber ale after 10 days and had a couple of bombs. Luckily i bottled in PETS so there was no real carnage. It just made me wary thats all. i think i will CC tomorrow and can always bottle saturday if 2 days is not enough

All correct Jason, ignore the kit instructions.

John was actually questioning the kit instructions in his unofficial role of Devil's Advocate (although he prefers this term translated into a dead language).

[devil]

For dry yeast, I start a little higher (around 22 - 24\xb0C)and then drop it down to around 18 -19\xb0C after fermentation is well under way (say 12 hours).

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta agree with John's temps, wish I could achieve them LOL. Gotta install that 4th fridge for fermenting! I also remember as PB2 said the first couple days are most important to keep the temp down.

As far as cold crashing I have been using Ross's Craftbrew 10 day ferment, 10 day crash chill, then keg method. A week in the keg does wonders for the taste. The second fermenter may help me stick to that timetable and not tap the keg early! [biggrin]

Archived