Coopers Community

This thing is starting to consume me!

Sticky Wicket

What has happened to me?

I now seem to spend all my spare time researching, making or drinking beer!

It started with Kits & Dry Extracts, and then moved to Liquid Extracts and small Hop additions.

I then discovered temperature control and now have two fridges with STC 1000, may I say what a difference that makes.

I am now steeping small amounts of grain 500g - 700g to add to the Kits.

I recently acquired a pub keg and have designed kettle as per Yobs picture at the Slaughterhouse Brewery.

I have purchased 1/2 inch copper pipe and built a Wort Cooler.

It seems I need a three ring burner now and I am more or less prepared for all grain.

Considering purchasing Beersmith and some advice on this would be appreciated.

What have you people done to me, or is this all of my own doing?

Looks like I have taken the bait hook, line and sinker!

The SWMBO hasn't complained, so I guess that's good!

What has happened to me?

It started with Kits & Dry Extracts, and then moved to Liquid Extracts and small Hop additions.

I then discovered temperature control and now have two fridges with STC 1000, may I say what a difference that makes.

I recently acquired a pub keg and have designed kettle as per Yobs picture at the Slaughterhouse Brewery.

It seems I need a three ring burner now and I am more or less prepared for all grain.

No!!!I think your onto something there Sticky...its a conspiracy of the highest order and affects all ages all over the world...Twilight Zone.[biggrin] [crying] [lol]

What has happened to me?

+1 to everything you said Sticky,, I reckon everyone needs a hobby, but Nardi thinks i have brewing OCD..she is probably right[biggrin]

Cheers Hairy,

Have you got a PC or Apple Mac?

I have a PC. I don't think it was the software; my computer was generally crapping itself around that time.

I might try downloading Brewmate tonight to see if it works now.

Hey Nick, my missus thinks its going to be a nine month wonder and it will all stop, as it has on previous occasions, but this time its different. I now have a better understanding of what to do and why temperature and other factors are so important.

Haven't brewed a bad beer for a while now, this thing isn't going to stop this time, the more knowledge I gain the more I want to do it!!!!

Hey Nick, my missus thinks its going to be a nine month wonder and it will all stop, as it has on previous occasions, but this time its different. I now have a better understanding of what to do and why temperature and other factors are so important.

Haven't brewed a bad beer for a while now, this thing isn't going to stop this time, the more knowledge I gain the more I want to do it!!!!

Hi Sticky, drinking beer has been a 35 year interest for me, so i think brewing it will be more than a 9 month wonder.

the trouble is, hanging around here for a while gives you the knowledge to make some begucking good beer, so going away from brewing means drinking megashite again.

With temp control and some basic additions, i reckon the beer i am churning out is on a par with the bought stuff. I had some JS IPA and JS pale ale stubbies in the fridge and did a blind taste test on some of my mates with my own home brewed IPA and PA...guess what, no one could tell the diff!!

I tried a bunch of different brews, but once you hit on the ones that work with your own taste you are on a winner.

My house beers are APA, IPA and Irish Stout, all basic K and K, with just the odd addition depending on the mood. These beers are all i need to make me a happy little Nicko

Cheers and many beers[biggrin]

the first APA i brewed had a horrid sulpher smell and taste during ferment and bottling. it wasnt off, but i wasnt too keen on tasting it, so i bottled it and put the cartons up the shed. I wasnt sure it they were infected and were going to explode....cut a long story short, i tasted one after 3 months and it was THE BEST BEER I EVER TASTED! the 60 odd stubbies lasted 3 days when i took them camping[biggrin]

What did you use in the Toucan?

Its my favorite quick easy stock brew.

2 x Coopers APA cans

300g dextrose

Two times kit yeast

I have done the same brew with Coopers commercial yeast re-cultured from three long necks and its even better, but if you want something quick, easy and great to drink the above recipe is a winner.[love]

Hey Sticky,

I have used both BrewMate and Beersmith. They are both great tools. BM is way less complicated than BS. There are a lot of extra bells and whistles that come with BS that the average homebrewer might find interesting but not neccesary. BrewMate is very easy to use but maybe leaves a little bit more to guess work on how your brewery system works.

Once you get your keggle, chiller, gas burner, Mash tun, etc, etc up and running you will have to do a few brews taking good notes the see how it all functions so you can make adjustments to on your BrewMate "berew day" details.

I say Brewmate would be my preference. It is free after all.[roll]

Cheers Chad,

Have had a look at both now, and whilst Beersnith has lots of buttons and options its probably a bit complex-ed for me at this stage, so Beer mate it is.

I was thinking of doing a pretty basic Pale Ale for the first three brews exactly the same so I learn and can make those adjustments as you suggest, one malt and one hop.

The KISS method for the beginner!

Brewing fits in perfectly with my ADHD![innocent] SWMBO thinks its the best hobby ever for me, I still think its comes in at a very close 2nd to fishing. Just got my fridge going yesterday. Bought it for $11 on trade me. I can get a STC-1000 for $35.

Cheers SW,

By the time I ad the exchange rate and shipping it looks like it will still be cheaper to get it this side of the ditch. Need to check with our electrician at the factory. Maybe he can source something for me. He knows people in LOW-LOW places[devil]

Archived