Coopers Community

IM NOT LIKING THE LOOK OF THIS ?

Hiya all this APA brew has got me worried.....as you all know its my first K&B brew......i put it down 17/1/13 pitched yeast at 18c..kept it at 18c but i just had a good look at it, no krausen, no workings round top of fv, have i done something wrong or does it take longer than the kit brews? ive sent email to the maestro..yob...but thought id ask on here also.cheers

Any drop in gravity Ned? That is the best sign of fermentation (of course in conjunction with any other tells).

i didnt take an og (another story) its in a tub of water so i dont like pulling it out as yet...mind you i think im freaking out over nothing i just realised i didnt brew it together til about 6pm the 17/1....think im just panicking as im used to the kit brews a lil bit higher temp etc.....so really its only day and a half...calm down Ned lol

Hey Ned,

What was the yeast you used in the brew? Some yeast will not build a krausen right away or hardly at all. US-05 for example doesn't make much of a head and really only ends up being a kinda' muddy looking sludge on the top of the brew. Wyeast1450 which is another yeast strain I'm using right now in the brewery puts up a decent little white krausen (4cm)right off the bat then quickly dies back to little moret that 1cm atfer a day or so.

What I'm trying to tell you is in the emortal words of the late Douglas Adams... "Don't Panic!"[biggrin]

Hey Ned,

What was the yeast you used in the brew? Some yeast will not build a krausen right away or hardly at all. US-05 for example doesn't make much of a head and really only ends up being a kinda' muddy looking sludge on the top of the brew. Wyeast1450 which is another yeast strain I'm using right now in the brewery puts up a decent little white krausen (4cm)right off the bat then quickly dies back to little moret that 1cm atfer a day or so.

What I'm trying to tell you is in the emortal words of the late Douglas Adams... "Don't Panic!"[biggrin]

thanks Chad..i just used the yeast from the APA kit...i think im panicking...Yobs gunna be larfing his ass off with this lol[biggrin]

Ned,

I'll bet you have done nothing wrong other than pitching just 7g of yeast that is possibly very low in viability in a wort I reckon to be >1.040. So, essentially, under pitching.

lagtime or adaptive stage should occur in 12 - 24 hours. Personally, if it is taking longer than 24 hours I would pitch another yeast.

We don't brew in sterile conditions so we want our little yeasties to be the dominant organism as quickly as possible to stop the nasties taking hold

Relax nedster, it will all work out, krausen activity is almost as useful as an airlock... FACT.. Sorry..

I know this brew is one you are paying ALOT of attention to Ned, but dont treaty different to any other,ferment really, it's quite likely it will take off and be the same as all the rest,

Sorry mate havnt really got email at the mo, im in tassie catching up with my old man, we have some ashes to sift through.

Relax mate, it will be fine

Hey Ned, the first stout i brewed was a dead set fizzer. I was anticipating some thing volcanic after reading about the type of krausen that could be expected.

I took my SG readings, so i knew it was fermenting, but i was quite dissappointed at the lack of visual action. It turned out fine mate and hopefully yours will to.

Relax nedster, it will all work out, krausen activity is almost as useful as an airlock... FACT.. Sorry..

I know this brew is one you are paying ALOT of attention to Ned, but dont treaty different to any other,ferment really, it's quite likely it will take off and be the same as all the rest,

Sorry mate havnt really got email at the mo, im in tassie catching up with my old man, we have some ashes to sift through.

Relax mate, it will be fine

kool mate i hope the added yeast wont wreck it. but on a more useful note i hope your dad is ok..regards to him. brewing just doesnt seem that important at times when y a see what other peeps are sorting through.[annoyed] [cool] [pinched]

Hey Ned, the first stout i brewed was a dead set fizzer. I was anticipating some thing volcanic after reading about the type of krausen that could be expected.

I took my SG readings, so i knew it was fermenting, but i was quite dissappointed at the lack of visual action. It turned out fine mate and hopefully yours will to.

i shoulda paid attention to the fact there was condensation on lid...yeah im panicking a little...no alot lol. cheers guys

Hey Ned,

Hope it's all good, I see that you pitched another yeast.. I pitched at 20deg on my last APA and was a bit concerned.. Hairy told me to sit tight..! FV sat around 16-18 for first day half with no krausen, although I spotted cloudiness at the bottom and condensation at the top. Day 3 krausen.. Back yourself mate.! Try and look for any "Tells"(Thanks Muddy) Maybe a blanket or a big hug around the FV might have woken up the yeast.. Good luck, you'll reap the rewards.![happy]

Hey Ned,

Hope it's all good, I see that you pitched another yeast.. I pitched at 20deg on my last APA and was a bit concerned.. Hairy told me to sit tight..! FV sat around 16-18 for first day half with no krausen, although I spotted cloudiness at the bottom and condensation at the top. Day 3 krausen.. Back yourself mate.! Try and look for any "Tells"(Thanks Muddy) Maybe a blanket or a big hug around the FV might have woken up the yeast.. Good luck, you'll reap the rewards.![happy]

yes i wish i had of held off but panic got the better of me lol seems to be going ok now next brew i wont panic and just "watch and learn" , cheers ned

Don't worry Ned' date=' the extra yeast won't hurt it. Now that you have pitched 14g of yeast it will probably help it.[/quote']

thanks Hairy...i had a sneak peek this morning and its looking more like a brew in there now.....Yob will be pulling his hair out if i dont stop stressing lol

Hi Ned,

Mine did the same and I will bottle today. This one looks beeter than my first lager! Hope it taste better than my first lager!

Kia Ora flea....yes i was in total panic here as id thought i wasted Yobs time helping me out so much...its looking pretty active in the fv now...ill have to maybe let it sit a little bit longer for the dry pitch...ill just keep an eye on it , im sure youll have a great brew mate, cheers Ned

Archived