Coopers Community

Exploring American Hop Options

DylanI

Hey everyone

I've decided that for my next few batches, I'm going to explore the world of American hops. I've got a base recipe that I'm going to use, and I will change the hops.

I've done a similar recipe below with Galaxy + Cascade. Also Pacific Jade + Cascade. I'm about to do it with Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo. I'm thinking of trying something + Simcoe next.

What are some other great (or not so great) American hop combinations that you've used?

Base recipe to 23L with US05:

1.70kg Draught kit, 1.50kg light LME, 0.25kg light DME, 0.20kg med crystal, 0.20kg carapils

Boil in 6L

20 mins of equal amounts of each hop (enough to reach IBU target)

15g of each hop dry hopped

Targets (as per style guidelines)

IBU = ~37

OG = 1.052

I have a heap of Simcoe in the freezer which I might give another go.

I used it mainly as a flavour and aroma addition (along with Galaxy & Citra) but I wasn't a fan. I have read in some posts on other sites that late additions can give you the impression of "cats piss". That's what I got (to some extent).

Next time I use it I am going to leave all Simcoe additions to before 15 minutes.

Let me know what you think of it.

Hi Dylan. I hope the CIA doesn't have you pushing too many pencils [happy]

I have tried a couple of varities. The Fruit Salad Ale was nice but needs more hops IMO [annoyed]

I made a LCPA (to which there is a link in my signature) with Cascade and Galaxy.

I made an ANZAC Pale Ale with Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin and it's feckin awesome. You could just use the APA kit and not worry about the 40min galaxy add.

oooh, right up my alley.. I mostly brew American Pales and American IPA's so have done quite a bit with American hops..

I really like Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Simcoe, Willamette, etc, etc,

If just starting with then it may be best to start with a small aroma addition and a dry hop, .5g/l as a flavour/aroma addition and .75-1g/l as a gry hop.

Drool

abd BTW, I dont mind Simcoe as a late addition but go easy on it, it's like Galaxy and Nelson, easy to overpower the beer with it, go in moderation and you should be OK.

Yob

Hi guys.

I also have a preference for American APA's/IPA's & have been throwing different hop varieties at just about every brew I've done since I started home brewing again back in July last year.

Would it be a fair comment to make that some hop varieties are great stand alone varieties in a brew, & then there are a vast majority of hop varieties that are best used in company with other hop types in a brew, where these types of hops if brewed stand alone, don't give off particularly inviting flavours at higher addition levels?

Anthony.

Would it be a fair comment to make that some hop varieties are great stand alone varieties in a brew, & then there are a vast majority of hop varieties that are best used in company with other hop types in a brew, where these types of hops if brewed stand alone, don't give off particularly inviting flavours at higher addition levels?

Sometimes. But Bridge Road Brewers have done a good job testing it for us, with their single hop IPA's. Who would've thunk POR would be good?

Who would've thunk POR would be good?

Not me. I've tried their "Summer" IPA, and that didn't set my world on fire. But I guess that's the hops' fault, not the brewer.

I've got their Galaxy IPA in the fridge to try. I'm looking forward to it.

It is true that some hops are stunners on their own. I've done single hop brews with Citra (Black IPA) and Galaxy (APA), and both were great. I've decided to blend the American hops to get a more complex result.

Just put down my first brew in new DIY fermenter and also first time using Simco pellets. Lucky read this thread first otherwise may have used 40 grams or more as i would with Amarillo.

Can of OS Lager

1kg Light Dry Malt

250 grams Dry Wheat Malt

25 Grams Simco 8 minutes

7 gram Packet IPA yeast

was thinking of Dry hopping with either 20 grams more simco or B Sazz which i also have but might leave it and see how i like simco with whats already in it [rightful]

was thinking of Dry hopping with either 20 grams more simco or B Sazz which i also have but might leave it and see how i like simco with whats already in it [rightful]

get some amarillo... bloody lovely with simcoe [ninja]

Yob

get some amarillo... bloody lovely with simcoe [ninja]

Yob

That's good to hear Yob. I'm brewing a clone of the Pizza Port Carlsbad Wipeout IPA with an allgrain brewer friend on the weekend.

it's got simcoe, amarillo and centennial (although we can't get any, so using cascade). It's north of 8% and 80 IBUs. I can't wait!

Archived