Coopers Community

Lemon Zest Weizan Head

AB

Hey Fellas,

Brewed a Lemon Zest Weizan late last year and turned out awesome, drank half the batch after about 4 weeks in the bottle and then decided to let it sit for a while because i was drinking it so quick. It now pours a ridiculous head which it never did before, any ideas what has happened here?

AB

Assuming you stuck to the recipe exactly...This can happen with brews that have maltodextrin content. How long did you run it in primary before bottling and what was the FG?

If you've bottled into PETs, it's just a matter of releasing the gas several times over the course of a week to normalise the pressure.

Hi John,

About an inch and a half of beer in the base of a pint glass gives head to the top.

PB,

Followed the Coopers recipe exactly but subbed in lemon zest.

Recipe:

TC Wheat Beer

500g LDM

500g BE1

1 x Zested Lemon

WB-06 Yeast

23L Brew

OG 1038

FG 1005

10 days in primary and bottled directly to Coopers long necks and primed with 2 drops per longneck.

Seems i might have bottled prematurely and I'm getting a secondary ferment in the bottle? Not too phased on recovering this batch but tips for the next one would be appreciated.

Cheers,

AB

Treated the lemon zest as per the recipe, 1L boiling water, add Zest to water and leave for 15mins, added to FV without stirring. Added day 5.

Could adding a litre of hot water to a brew that is much colder have caused a problem?

I have no experience in adding hot additions to a brew 5 days into it, so i have no real basis to say this, but my logic suggests that this is not a good idea.

In the same situation, i would boil the required 15 minutes to extract flavour and kill any nasties, but i would chill first before adding to the FV. Like I said i have nothing to base this on except my own rationale.

I look forward to further comment

I don't think that would cause the huge head or introduce a spoilage organism. It may shock the yeast or kill some yeast but it was also only 1 litre into 23 litres so it shouldn't change the temp too much.

And it appears that the yeast finished the job off OK.

Are all the bottles pouring the same?

Hey Nick,

Everything was done as per the Coopers recipe:

"On about day 5 of fermentation, make a lemon infusion by breaking up the lemon myrtle leaves and steeping in 1 litre of \u2018just boiled\u2019 water for about 15mins. Add the strained infusion into the brew \u2013 do not stir"

So the water is "cooled" before being poured into the FV.

Hairy,

Not sure where ive come unstuck, but yeh they are all pouring the same. Ive just started opening the longneck and keeping in the fridge for 10mins while it degasses a bit before pouring - seems to work ok.

Also all bottles sanitised with iodophor and cleaned properly on bottling day.

Cheers,

AB

I've got some beers that I brewed that are a bit older and doing the same thing. One of them was definitely infected (gushed out of the bottle and wouldn't stop, and tasted like butt, the technical term the guys on here told me) the recent one I've opened taste ok but fizz like crazy. They are all glass bottles too (around 500 mL, can't remember what I primed with).

The bubbles are really tiny and also change the taste of the beer. It it possible that there is wild yeast in my bottles as I didn't have starsan then, just used the coopers sodium perc.

Archived