Coopers Community

Airlock

Nick

My 2nd FV is an old style type with an Airlock, it has a wide top similar to the newer DYI FV which is wider than a roll of glad wrap.

I have been using it with the airlock, but want to now use it in the brewfridge.

The problem is, that with the airlock attached it is to high to fit in the fridge. Can i just remove it and leave the bung hole open to allow CO2 to escape. It will be in the brewfridge, so nothing can get in to it.

I dont want to use glad wrap as the lid is fine.

You could alway put some glad wrap over the hole and stick three sides down with sticky tape. This should stop things getting in but allow gas to escape.

Not sure if it will work; just thinking out loud [innocent]

I'm also thinking out loud. why don't you pull the airlock out of the rubber bung and use a bit of gladwrap to cover the hole and stuff the bung back into the hole. If you get what I mean.[unsure]. If there is a problem with the gases escaping then make a pin prick through the bung hole into the gladwrap.

...well before the airlock debate ever started, I discarded mine and simply put a bit of tape over the hole, origionally I only stuck one side down so it was sort of like a flap or a valve that would allow air or Co2 out but nothing back in, then I just taped the hole over and figured that given that the airlock only worked when it felt like it anyway, any pressure would leak out around the seal.....it worked fine!

when i use my double brew tub..its just a screw top lid...i just tighten it up, turn it back to let hte gas out...seems ok...in fact i think the new coopers fv is much the same principle??????mind you its late, im drinking and i wasnt rooool smart to begin with. , cheers ned

I really do not get why so many of you hate airlocks.

They're so simple that they're fool proof.

My oldest airlock is about 10 years old and although it is discoloured it works perfectly every time.

Perhaps the problem is with your FVs?

My oldest airlock is about 10 years old and although it is discoloured it works perfectly every time.

Its not the fact that i hate the airlock, it is a good guide as to where you are at with fermentation. I just cant make the bloody FV fit the brew fridge with it on.

I think i will swing with Yobs idea. It sounds so easy and will stll allow CO2 to escape, while stopping anything entering the FV.

I don't think anyone really hates airlocks per se; it is more the frequently asked questions of:

I don't think my brew is fermenting because the airlock isn't bubbling, what should I do?

Or

My airlock isn't bubbling, when do I start to panic?

No airlock solves these question (it may lead to other questions though [innocent] )

Archived