Coopers Community

Yes it is hot - time for a home brew

Scottie

I know it's hard for you mainlanders to believe but here in the Derwent Valley its 39'C with a relative humidity of only 22%.

Should I choose my Fruity Mexican, Kegged Fruit Salad or the Styx River Pale?

Given the review that Nick's dad has given one of my recipes I hunted out the stubbies of Stella IPA that I bottled after I filld the keg.

So one has been in the fridge since this morning and I will start with that one at 5 (Beer) O'Clock. After that I'll have a couple of Styx River Pales (I reckon its well over 40'C up there - Bushy Park - at the minute).

What is the best beer to drink when the mercury pushes 40'C [unsure].

And before you blokes & blokettes (Eoin included) get too smart it has been this hot in Tassie before (every year in fact) [rightful]

You should get the fruity Mexican to pour the beer for you, although you will get a little umbrella in it [innocent]

It has been hot here so I am quenching my thirst with my hefewiezen. Great for the hot weather.

What's with the hot weather in Tassie? I was watching the cricket in Hobart on Boxing Day (on TV) and it was 11 degrees.

What's with the hot weather in Tassie? I was watching the cricket in Hobart on Boxing Day (on TV) and it was 11 degrees.

Hey Hairy

That's the way it Rolls down under in Tassie. We haven't had a Xmas day over 23'C this century, we can hit 30'C in October and see snow on the Mountain the next day.

Anyway during a break in the cricket the newsman updated the fire situation and quoted today as Hobart's hottest on record.

Fires are all about though, such a shame, the sun and smoke is producing that eerie orange light that we see too often all over Australia.

Anyway I rattle on too much, I knew that you would doubt me so

img5183ex.jpg

I know it's hard for you mainlanders to believe but here in the Derwent Valley its 39'C...And before you blokes & blokettes (Eoin included) get too smart it has been this hot in Tassie before (every year in fact)

Don't worry Scottie, I'm sure an iceberg will float by shortly. [innocent] [lol]

Anthony.

My first beer today is a... commercial beer [lol]

3 Ravens Pale Ale

been holding off as Im a little in the bad books for demolishing a keg yesterday, had a few people over and I got slaughtered..

geez man, what ya gunna do, it's hot.. Im a brewer... I have kegs full??

[innocent]

SA is always a MF in January. The biggest bugger was that my new 3 ring burner and stand got here mid week and I've been itching to get stuck into a brew (an ESB with Styrian Goldings) but we've had 40-44 for the last couple of days![sick] [sad] [pinched]

Now it's brew day (32-33 I think) and instead of getting a move on I'm sitting on the damn forums! [happy]

Have a fantastic day everyone, and if you're in Adelaide, let's enjoy it while it lasts! [crying]

Now it's brew day (32-33 I think) and instead of getting a move on I'm sitting on the damn forums!

Harden up soldier.. last week I did one at those temps, must have been close to 50 beside the burner... I just made sure to replace all my fluids with IPA as I went [lol]

John, Ive only got a 3 ring from the big green shed, but I did upgrade the Regulator to a high pressure one, as a result I generally only use the 2 outer rings and get a decent rolling boil every time.

Cheers

Hi Yob

That one does not comes with a stand does it ? Did you get the HP regulator from Bunnings? Does it blacken the pots?

I have a big gutsy wok burner on the Bosch Kitchen gas cooktop that will boil near 30L and I do all my cooking inside.

Been thinking for couple of years of getting a burner and taking brewing outside. Since I generally do half size (11.5L) BIAB it is not really a burning necessity(pardon the pun) to go outside.

That one does not comes with a stand does it ?

Nope, I built one out of a Ford rim

did you get the HP regulator from Bunnings? Does it blacken the pots?

Nope, got it from... damn, was-their-names-in-Adelaide.. bloody hell, cant remember, will come to me.. No blackening, but does get a slightly sooty flame if I turn the inner ring on, you want a mostly blue flame, when it goes yellow you will get a carbon build up.

I have a big gutsy wok burner on the Bosch Kitchen gas cooktop that will boil near 30L and I do all my cooking inside.

Been thinking for couple of years of getting a burner and taking brewing outside. Since I generally do half size (11.5L) BIAB it is not really a burning necessity(pardon the pun) to go outside.

As you please mate, generally speaking, many people who BIAB end up on the false bottom / Electric element path, will mostly depend on how you want to set it up

Yob

Hi Phil

Which burner did you buy and where did you get it?

Hi there John.

I got a Bromic RB30 3 Ring burner from an eBay store called Green Valley Outdoor Cooking. I got a nice stand to go with it for a bit extra from the same place. I only do small batches as well (~16L) so I don't have the need for a monster.

Harden up soldier..

[lol] I was referring to the 44 days mate but anyway, I will have to cos it looks like today's plans have changed from brewing to a counter meal and a visit to the Brew Boys! [happy] [love] Their next batch of Hopapotamus IPA is ready, so everything else gets pushed back a day! [happy]

I had a ring burner recently, I think the lady called it Vindaloo.[crying]

Anyway, I think you shoudl go with the Fruit Salad[love]

I's 9C here and the hoppy dark beers are going down a treat.

Brewing lighter beers now in preparation for (aka anticipation of) spring/summer but we'll be lucky to hit mid 20s here...

Well, I ended up brewing last night after getting home anyway. [love] my new burner, the standard reg is definitely all I need for what I do. All 3 rings gave me way too much heat, actually had a boil over! A bit of soot on the bottom of my pot though.

On a side note, had a beer through a randall full of POR flowers. It was delicious! What's the deal? I had heard that POR was [sick] for flavour/aroma. I've tasted the same beer without the POR and it's a great drop, but running through those flowers it was magnificent!

Have you all been lying to me? [wink]

I remember that now actually. Do you reckon dry hopped pellets would be as good for those with a palette for it (as mine obviously is)?

I guess that's the great thing about home/craft brewed beers. People will try different things and they may just appeal, no matter how unpopular the idea may be! [cool]

Archived