Coopers Community

Krausen in the airlock

Nick

i woke up pretty bloody early today, coincidently, i seem to have done the same on this date for the last 40 odd years. As no one else was awake i decided not to make a bee line for the chrissy tree, so instead i hopped on the forum for a quick look at the overnight discussions and after reading through a few threads, i hopped off again, thinking i must have been dreaming. Anyway, i just logged on again and find no evidence of this mornings bad dreams, which is a nice relief.

the main purpose of the thread is to ask the following. is it ok if my airlock is full of krausen contaminated water? I was given an old FV with an airlock and put down a stout, which is obviously quite a lively ferment at this stage. should i remove the airlock or just leave it be? it looks pretty yuk

while stuff is cummin out, nothin is getting in... messy? yes but safe.

When it stops cummin out, take the airlock out clean it, sanitise it and replace.. all good..

whats that SWMBO? No.. Im not posting on the forum..

damn.. in trouble again... good luck nick, gotta go [lol]

Ditch the airlock in future - you'll be glad you did [ninja]

Hey mudman, do you mean that i just remove it and leave the hole open? i have read some glad wrap ideas in old threads but am yet to be convinced. i prefer to have a solid lid on thde FV

Don't leave the hole open. Either use an airlock or ditch the lid and use gad wrap. I used to run with the glad wrap method before I got a Coopers DIY FV. I had no problems with it at all.

Nick, just go with whatever works for you (and don't tell Mudz).

gladwrap.jpg

Each to their own, but I too find this method easier, if it does try to escape you can just rip it off and replace in about 15 seconds, no mess, no fuss.

[innocent]

*ed: this is my notto from the brew the other day.. it's come out of the traps like a scalded cat [lol]

I've never had any problems when using airlocks. I love them.[love]

Some krausen will ocasionally foam out of it, but as Yob said, just clean and replace once the krausen dies down.

If you decide to use GladWrap, i remember a lot of people recommending 2 sheets, secured with an elastic band,and a pin hole to let the Co2 out.

I've not used gladwrap but that method seems to make sense.

Thanks guys, the krausen collapsed as quick as it started, so i cleaned the airlock at put it back on. i think i will stick with the airlock as i dont have a brew fridge or cupboard for it and it just sits on the laundry bench. as its the laundry, i am told that other things happen in there other than brewing, so i reckon its better that i have a solid lid rather than glad wrap

I've never had any problems when using airlocks. I love them.[love]

Some krausen will ocasionally foam out of it, but as Yob said, just clean and replace once the krausen dies down.

If you decide to use GladWrap, i remember a lot of people recommending 2 sheets, secured with an elastic band,and a pin hole to let the Co2 out.

I've not used gladwrap but that method seems to make sense.

No pin hole ever required mate, the gas will find a way out..

Archived