Coopers Community

Difference between Coopers Original, International and TCS cans

DamianM2

I have been wondering about the difference between the series of kits other than price. Are there quality of ingredients differences or is it just the recipes? I have been using the Pale Ale kit as a base for a few of my recipes but have been adding spec grains and extra hops. I recently picked up a can of Real Ale which I haven't used yet and it got me thinking about this question.

Do the kits only really matter if you are using basic sugar additions or are there other differences?

Damian.

Hi DamianM2.

I have brewed many times in the past with the Original series kit tins & have brewed more recently with the Thomas Coopers range. I haven't however brewed any of the International series kits.

I can only gather that the OS series is an introductory series for those first attempting home brewing. The kit tins in this range are generally more flexible in their ability to cope with primary fermentation temperatures & still be able to give a brewed product at the end, that a new to brewing "Mega-swiller" can connect with.

Once you begin to move into the International & TC range, the advised techniques for brewing them successfully become more honed & restrictive in terms of brewing temperatures, added ingredients, in compliment with the more advanced quality of the kits involved.

I've brewed the TC Pilsner, Sparkling Ale, & IPA. I was very impressed with the quality of ingredients & the more pronounced hops character displayed in each of them.

As far as home brewing 1.7kg kit tins go, I doubt there is a better quality range available on the planet today.

"I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains......"

I'm enjoying an ale atm, it may not be the 7% IPA that Hairy is drinking, but it is having similar affects. [lol] [biggrin]

Anthony.

Hi DamianM2.

I have brewed many times in the past with the Original series kit tins & have brewed more recently with the Thomas Coopers range. I haven't however brewed any of the International series kits.

I can only gather that the OS series is an introductory series for those first attempting home brewing. The kit tins in this range are generally more flexible in their ability to cope with primary fermentation temperatures & still be able to give a brewed product at the end, that a new to brewing "Mega-swiller" can connect with.

Once you begin to move into the International & TC range, the advised techniques for brewing them successfully become more honed & restrictive in terms of brewing temperatures, added ingredients, in compliment with the more advanced quality of the kits involved.

I've brewed the TC Pilsner, Sparkling Ale, & IPA. I was very impressed with the quality of ingredients & the more pronounced hops character displayed in each of them.

As far as home brewing 1.7kg kit tins go, I doubt there is a better quality range available on the planet today.

"I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains......"

I'm enjoying an ale atm, it may not be the 7% IPA that Hairy is drinking, but it is having similar affects. [lol] [biggrin]

Anthony.

I think you have over complicated it. I just thought that the TC series were higher quality kits. Nothing to do with flexibility, fermentation temps etc.

And tonight is just a 5% American Brown Ale; I'm cutting back [biggrin]

I didn't have any in the fridge [innocent]

Allegedly [lol]

I actually noticedwith the english bitter kit it has an amazing hop aroma compared to any of the other Coopers kits I have used.

And the original series ain't bad the real ale is a pretty good base kit also the stout kit and dark ale kits are quite good too.

My 5 Favourite coopers kits in order are 1 Aus Pale ale kit 2 English Bitter 3 TCS Sparkling Ale 4 OS Stout 5 Real ale.

I actually noticed with the english bitter kit it has an amazing hop aroma compared to any of the other Coopers kits I have used.

And head!

The EB kit will stand up to a LOT abuse and playing, and will always give a good brew.[biggrin]

Thanks for the replies.

At the end of the day I always end up adding spec grains and more hops so it sounds as though the OS cans are as good as amything for a base. Anyway, I'll give it a go with the Real Ale can I've got.

Damian.

Archived