Coopers Community

Ferment time scary

Sticky Wicket

Hello beer lovers, I have a couple of questions for those with more experience than I. Firstly I have not had a brew down for three weeks until last weekend when my STC 1000 finally a arrived. I know patience is a virtue when it comes to brewing, however I waited 4 weeks for this piece of goodness, and now I am worried my impatience will bring my latest brew undone.

So here is my concern, I had previously brewed a Toucan Coopers APA with additional 300gm Dex and used re-cultured Coopers Commercial Yeast in 250gm LDM starter brewed at 18-20C. It was a great beer and as stocks were now lower than I like, I thought I would do it again. Problem is I used the commercial yeast again that was probably older than ideal and when I pitched it, it didn't start fermenting the first 24 hours, so I pitched the two packets of kit yeast. It has fermented out inside 4 days at 18C and currently sits at 1010. I will test again tomorrow and are tempted to leave it for a few more days regardless. The STC 100 at 18C had .3C variation.

Question - What effect is this fast ferment going to have on my beer and when do you think l should bottle, I know if I get two readings same after 24 hours it should be good to go, but as said fast ferment scary, did I use to much yeast?

All help and suggestions are appreciated!

I wouldn't worry about the fast fermentation. If conditions are right and the yeast is healthy then fermentation may be faster than normal. The extra yeast probably helped. I would be concerned if you said the ferment was fast because you dd it at 30 degrees but 18 degrees is a good temp.

Technically, once you have reached your expected FG and have stable readings then you are safe to bottle. But your beer will benefit from extra time in the FV. If you have the patience still then leave it another week to clean up after itself and then bottle.

If you are after a clearer beer than you can drop the temp on the controller to around 2 degrees after that and leave it for a few more days before bottling.

an overpitch (as it seems you have done) will result in a faster ferment but less ester (Yeast flavour) formulation... not the best but certainly better that an underpitch..

A 4 day ferment is not unheard of and does not equal a bad ferment.. you can have a perfect pitch rate and still get a 4 day ferment... Healthy Yeast = a healthy ferment.

Give the drinkstable 10 minutes to read this and you will get the same advice, just re-worded. [annoyed]

[innocent]

Most of all, how does it taste to you? Let your taste buds be the judge if there are any negative side affects from this ferment.

I would suggest Dry Hopping now and leaving it 3 days then cold conditioning ofr a week at 0-2'c before you bottle... but thats just me and the way I roll.

Yob

Hey Yob, Hairy,

Appreciate your advice, have tasted, and all seems fine, actually good. I found the bitterness perfect from the Toucan as it was without additional hops. Would I be dry hoping for aroma only?

What hops would you suggest?

If I drop the temp for a week as a top fermenting bottler. Will the yeast fall from suspension, and not allow full bottle carbonation?

Appreciate advice, cheers lots !!

Hi there Sticky.

Like you, my stock is running low (well, more like my stock of empty bottles is getting high) so I'm doing a couple of fast brews.

I often do a fast ferment with beers that don't need to be clear.

At the moment I have an Irish Stout that I'll probably bottle after 7 days, then I'm going to put on a hefeweizen that will also take about 7 days (hopefully).

If you drop the temperature for a week, it will drop some of the yeast out of the beer and clear it up a bit but you will still have plenty left to carbonate with [happy]

Archived