Coopers Community

Ordered My First IPA

Snowbeast

I am not the biggest fan of ales as I prefer a Lager but as the weather is a bit warm I decided to try the coopers APA as my brother is a fan of home brewed ales.

I ordered it with a local Brew Enhancer and a Light Dry Malt Extract.

The Coopers site calls for a 500g LDME and 300g Dextrose.

I intend to brew it with the kg of BE and 500g of LDME.

Is it worth the expense to add the extra 500g LDME and maybe dry hop it.

Cheers,

SnowBeast

I don't do kits for myself anymore, but my brother in law gets me to put down the IPA for him regularly.

We usually add buttloads of hops to this kit. Some in the boil, some dry, some flameout. Usually 75-100g. This is the tastiest Coopers kit IMO.

Even just made to the basic recipe however, you won't be dissapointed. [cool]

Beastie, it is a great kit. You don't need to hop it up but it is sensational when you do.

If you aren't a fan of big hoppy beers with US hops then you could always go down the UK IPA route. Add some EKG or Fuggles or Styrian Goldings as a late boil addition and also dry hop. It will add something to the beer but it won't be over the top.

But over the top can be good sometimes [wink]

You may find this hard to source in South Africa but Motueka (aka B-Saaz) is a great hop to use with this kit.

Hiya Snowbeast.

I concur with my fellow forum members in that the TC IPA kit is a great kit, but since you are using & referring to the APA kit, I would advise a nice hop tea of 15-25gms of Cascade or Galaxy or Amarillo, & dry hop with 25gms of the same hop.

I assume the "Brew Enhancer" you are using comprises 500gms Light Dry malt Powder, 250gms Dextrose, 250gms Maltadextrin?

If you use the extra 500gms of Light Dry Malt your final ABV will be approx. 4.9% bottled. Without it, your final ABV will be approx 4.1% and will lack a little in malt flavour (obviously).

Good luck with it. [biggrin]

P.S. Your thread name says "IPA" but your post says "APA"?

Anthony.

I just started sampling a TC IPA that I put together a while back. It's quite nice but needs some time age. It goes like this:

1.7Kg TC IPA

1.6 LME

Fuggles 10g (20mins), 5g (0mins)

EKG 10g (10mins), 5g (0mins)

21g Kit yeast

21L water

10L boil with 1kg LME

30g Oak chips sprinkled at ferment

120g Dex (bulk prime)

Hiya Snow, my first go at an IPA was the Authentic IPA that is in the how to brew recipes. now unless you are a real hophead, i wouldnt add any more as it is loaded already. i also found the AIPA was too strong for my tastes, with the hop bitterness and the extra alcohol bite a bit overpowering. Scotty posted an alternative recipe that may become my signature brew. i used the AIPA recipe but cut out the extra dex and replaced it with the addition of 300gm of cracked crystal malt steeped for half an hour in 1.2ltrs of just off the boil water then rinsed with the same. then i boiled the wort with 250 gm of LDM and added it to the kit. it was my first attempt at anything other than K & K, but it was so fricken easy. try it if you can get the crystal, you wont be disappointed. well done in the cricket BTW, you can thank Faf[annoyed]

My first IPA effort was my first all extract effort as well. Awesome to drink now (8+ weeks) wasn't that great at 4 and 6 weeks to the point where I was a little worried that there might be some form of infection.... All good now tho and prob one of the first styles I'll brew in the new year [biggrin]

Thanks for all the replies :)

Sorry I Meant IPA - the Australian PA is my next before I will be able to brew pilsners and lagers in Winter :)

I can get a Saaz hop in South Africa and most popular ones which is great, but they all through the mail.

I just printed out all your recipes and suggestions for my brew file so hopfully (pun intended) I can give them all a go before I bow out one day.

Thanks again :)

Archived