Coopers Community

Seasonal Brewing

Hi guys. (It's only been a day but I've missed youz all!) [biggrin]

There is definitely something to brewing certain styles of beers during more accommodating times of the year for those styles. Smarter brewers than I already know this & I did to a point anyway, but this damn 3 week primary ferment lager that I have going in the brew fridge atm, combined with the hot weather we have had lately here in Adelaide, has thrown my ale roster rotation into complete chaos! [pinched]

I've been able to get away with doing an ale brew each week with it's first week being spent in the brew fridge @ 18\xb0C & it's second week at ambient temperatures in a cooler room of my house where it's final temperature come bottling time has not exceeded 22\xb0C. I alternate a fermenter in & out of the brew fridge each week, thus am bottling & cooking up on a weekly cycle.

Despite my resentment towards this lager brew atm, I'm hoping for a good end result from it as I threw a lot of good technique & quality products at it. It's fermented very thoroughly through the first 2 weeks.

BUT I MUST GET BACK ON THE ALE TRAIL!! [pinched]

I've got some dry ice packs on the way from an online supplier that I plan to experiment with surrounding an external FV with a temp probe to see whether they can be a practical solution to minimizing the impact of higher ambient temperatures on a fermenter. I'll post my findings on that one.

On a happier note, I saved a few TC IPA's I bottled 2 months ago. 32\xb0C yesterday, 35\xb0C+ today, have a guess what I've been drinking?

Magnificent! Great flavour, great colour, solid bead, good head right to the bottom of the glass. Great drinking in weather like this. [happy]

I've brewed the Pilsner & IPA from the Thomas Coopers range so far & am looking forward to throwing together a number of the other varieties in amongst my extract brewing experiments.

I hope you guys are well & keeping active. [joyful]

Anthony.

On a happier note, I saved a few TC IPA's I bottled 2 months ago. 32\xb0C yesterday, 35\xb0C+ today, have a guess what I've been drinking?

Magnificent! Great flavour, great colour, solid bead, good head right to the bottom of the glass. Great drinking in weather like this. [happy]

G'Day Anthony Mate

That's the Coopers IPA for ya, a real winner. A beer for all seasons

Yob,

I owe you an apology. A BIG apology.

I'm sorry for the things I said. I just want us to get along.

Occasionally in my posting I encroach into areas I probably shouldn't be offering stern advice in.

I think you are an exceptional brewer with an exceptional knowledge bank that up & coming brewers on this forum are very lucky to be able to interact with. That includes me.

Your positive, informative posts are simply great reading for ALL that visit the forum.

I'm sorry.

Anthony.

I owe you an apology. A BIG apology.

I'm sorry for the things I said. I just want us to get along.

Occasionally in my posting I encroach into areas I probably shouldn't be offering stern advice in.

I think you are an exceptional brewer with an exceptional knowledge bank that up & coming brewers on this forum are very lucky to be able to interact with. That includes me.

Your positive, informative posts are simply great reading for ALL that visit the forum.

I'm sorry.

Anthony.

Hey Anthony,

I think that was the right thing to do! A spoonful of humility might taste bad but it is good you you![cool]

Love the setup Yob..especially the tap set up!! A Gem.

cheers, it's a work in progress... a lot of work going on in that area at the mo [innocent] will look very different in a few weeks.

Last weekend I built this frame for the brew equipment

rigx.jpg

damn it was hot work [crying]

don't get me started on American Pickers. That show is like meth, it draws you in. Then it ends and Storage Wars comes on and you're f**ked for the night... [biggrin]

about the seasonal brewing though, i'm kinda lucky at the moment.

It's cold here now, so for lager i just close the door and open the window and it seens to stay at about 13C.

I just put on some Tripel, so i'll close the window and open the door and it should keep it around 18-20C.

It's cold here now, so for lager i just close the door and open the window and it seens to stay at about 13C.

I just put on some Tripel, so i'll close the window and open the door and it should keep it around 18-20C.

Hey Eoin

I wonder if you can connect your door and your window to an STC1000 [lol]

Your method not that dissimilar to my temperature control methods for Ales at this time of the year, although I need to keep a watchful eye on the forecast, the weather in Hobart is quite unpredictable.

As the weather warms up I will give fridge fermenting a go and I'm thinking if I have to use a fridge then I might as well do a Lager.

LordEoin in proximity to the North Pole, & Scottie in proximity to the South Pole.

In terms of the ability to brew comfortably in ambient temperatures, you are both very cruel men to post what you each just did. [sad] [tongue]

How lucky are you? I envy you both. [pinched]

Anthony.

Archived