Coopers Community

Ginger Experiment

TheRobbo

Hi guys, quick question I have been brewing for a few years now and had the idea to try and re-create a Bundy Dark & Stormy (ginger beer and bundy rum pre-mix).

My idea is to brew up a batch of (Alcholic) Ginger Beer as I normally would which I really enjoy, only this time to spice things up a little I am thinking of putting a little rum in the bottom of the bottles before I fill and cap them ready for conditioning.

My question is "How much rum should I be looking at per 330ml bottle?"

I am thinking 10/15ml, though I am worried about killing the secondary ferment off and ruining all that lovely ginger beer and rum I could have kept separate [pinched]

Thanks in advance for any help.

TR

I am thinking 10/15ml' date=' though I am worried about killing the secondary ferment off and ruining all that lovely ginger beer and rum I could have kept separate [pinched']

Robbo Mate

I'm thinking you should keep it seperate. What is the advantage that your looking for by having a premix? If the advantage out ways the risk then you should go for it. You could also consider dropping the rum into the primary, I'm sure I've seen a recipe somewhere that sees top shelf added to the FV [unsure]

You could also consider dropping the rum into the primary' date=' I'm sure I've seen a recipe somewhere that sees top shelf added to the FV [unsure']

Ha

But that was essence. How about adding Rum essence to the primary ferment and adjusting the sugar to achieve the desired ABV %?

Well considering that when people mix up spirits and soft drinks it's normally a shot (30mL) of spirits in the 200/250mL glass, 10 or 15mL in 330mL is probably gonna be pretty pizz weak in flavour. If it was me I'd probably just keep them separate and "post-mix" in a glass. It's easier and you can tailor it to taste much easier.

I don't really know the answer to your question TheRobbo but may I suggest you try adding a small amount of rum to a few bottles in your next batch and see hoe it goes. I would be cautious though as I don't know what effect the rum will have during carbonation, particularly considering it contains a bit of sugar [innocent] .

OR.. maybe just mix the rum in before drinking - take the guess work out.

Well considering that when people mix up spirits and soft drinks it's normally a shot (30mL) of spirits in the 200/250mL glass' date=' 10 or 15mL in 330mL is probably gonna be pretty pizz weak in flavour. If it was me I'd probably just keep them separate and "post-mix" in a glass. It's easier and you can tailor it to taste much easier.[/quote']

Kelsey, I didn't see your post before posting mine - but yeah, I agree with you [cool] .

315ml beer @ 5% = 15.75ml alc

+ 15ml rum @ 40% = 06.00ml alc

= 330ml fluid with 22ml alc

= 6.7% ABV

I see no reason why it would kill the yeast, although I'd still only try it on a few bottles for a start or drink the bottle of rum in a fit of fury wearing nothing but my pants and a smile [biggrin]

Archived