Coopers Community

massive beer bottle

Acka

Hi boys,

I've just bought 3 of these german beers from first choice that are a 2 litre bottle that has the same lid as grolsh. i was thinking of bottling them as a homey, but it two litres apart from th extra priming needed is there anything alse i need to know when using such a big bottle?

plan to bottle this week

cheers

acka

Hey Acka its actually different with bigger bottles you use less sugar. I almost found out the hard way had a 1.5 litre grolsh bottle a mate gave me. Put about 13 grams in it which would be fizzy but fine if split that into 2 longnecks. I picked up the bottle at the neck to move it one day the missus was freaked out by it in pantry. A big hiss of air was released as i done this but still sealed tightly i knew she was gunna blow so popped cork. The cork and beer came out that fast wasnt funny and i was lucky it didnt blow. Fermentation was defenatly finished all the readings were done properly and the rest of batch in .375 and .750 was fine primed at same rate.

A few weeks later while bottoling an english bitter i filled it again and added 10 grams of sugar was perfect and it was stored in a mates pantry this time [innocent] he was aware of the risk but didnt mind and even drank it after a month without me one day and told me how good it was [devil]

Hope this helps other more experienced brewers may be able to help in regards to this but that was my experience.

Hi Acka - Unlike Sir Jimmius I would be prescribing the same priming rate no matter what size bottle you have it really shouldn't make a difference (I generally bulk prime at a rate just shy of 5.5g per litre - or 125g for a 23L batch).

With these big bottles there are a few things to be aware of - the regular bottling tube is too short to reach the bottom so you will need to extend it or use it attached to a food grade hose. They are also a bit of a bitch to pour from and they tend to splash on the bench a bit.

Now muddy has mentioned it and i think of it alot can go wrong as i think did with mine. When i think back the sedement reducer didnt touch the bottom and i had to fill 2 longnecks and pour into it. THis could have oxidised the beer as careful as i was or possibly an infection from bottle. i remember sticking my finger in neck of bottle to push down a bit of sugar around top very stupid idea. I cant really remember doing much different with second one maby minus the finger and less sugar so i put it down to priming rate. Thought i remembered seing it somewhere about less for more volume.

Thats why i said wait for other peoples opinions i think muddy is on the ball with his comments though.

Muddy, at the risk of sounding stupid, I have a question for you. Based on your priming rate above, does that mean you are allowing to prime for the full 23lt without allowing for any loss to trub etc? E.g. you expect to bottle 23lt, not say 22lt?

Hi Acka - Unlike Sir Jimmius I would be prescribing the same priming rate no matter what size bottle you have it really shouldn't make a difference (I generally bulk prime at a rate just shy of 5.5g per litre - or 125g for a 23L batch).

Eeek [surprised I have been bulk priming at 7.8-8g per litre. (saw that in one of your older posts Muddy). Is that too much? Should I be moving my glass batches to solitary confinement?

Muddy' date=' at the risk of sounding stupid, I have a question for you. Based on your priming rate above, does that mean you are allowing to prime for the full 23lt without allowing for any loss to trub etc? E.g. you expect to bottle 23lt, not say 22lt?[/quote']

Certainly not a stupid question Wal. In my opinion the difference between 23L and what actually makes it's way into the bottle is very small and not really worth taking into account.

Eeek Surprised I have been bulk priming at 7.8-8g per litre. (saw that in one of your older posts Muddy). Is that too much? Should I be moving my glass batches to solitary confinement?

I used to prime at the Coopers prescribed rate but find it too excessive for my tastes these days. I mainly make pale ales and tend to prime my beers at a rate suitable to the style. It still has plenty of bubbles and a killer head. As a way of comparison my rate would give you carbonation similar to something like a Little Creatures Pale Ale.

Muddy' date=' at the risk of sounding stupid, I have a question for you. Based on your priming rate above, does that mean you are allowing to prime for the full 23lt without allowing for any loss to trub etc? E.g. you expect to bottle 23lt, not say 22lt?[/quote']

Certainly not a stupid question Wal. In my opinion the difference between 23L and what actually makes it's way into the bottle is very small and not really worth taking into account.

Eeek Surprised I have been bulk priming at 7.8-8g per litre. (saw that in one of your older posts Muddy). Is that too much? Should I be moving my glass batches to solitary confinement?

I used to prime at the Coopers prescribed rate but find it too excessive for my tastes these days. I mainly make pale ales and tend to prime my beers at a rate suitable to the style. It still has plenty of bubbles and a killer head. As a way of comparison my rate would give you carbonation similar to something like a Little Creatures Pale Ale.

I'm with Muddy. I am mostly brewing Milds, IPA , and PA's these days and I find 120-150g of dex is nice for these styles.

Check out this priming calculater for priming to style.

Archived