Coopers Community

Dark Crystal (270)

LordEoin

Hey Eoin

270 EBC. So the 130 EBC malts will give a lighter colour beer. You may be able to use Cara Aroma, was that about 350 EBC, and reduce the amount accordingly.

(It is probably better to reduce a darker malt than increase the amount of a lighter malt due to the residual sweetness. You don't want to overdo the crystal grains, 250 - 350 depending on the balance of your brew).

Crystal 120 has an EBC of 236.4 according to BrewMate Software. Considering you already have this, I would just use 250g of that as it shouldn't be too far off the mark and saves stuffing around with juggling other ingredients you don't have.

=============================================================

Crystal "x" where x is the Lovibond value and not EBC. In your case you have Crystal 120L and this is in fact a dark crystal. [rightful]

The Cara Crystal 120 on the website link is 120 EBC. So that would be around 60L.

So if that is the crystal LordEoin has then it wouldn't be a dark crystal.

Bah!!... is this where I insert an Irish Joke?.... fancy doing it their own way against the whole world.... [roll]

Now I understand why the Irish invented flyscreens on submarines!

Do you know the Irish invented the toilet seat?... yeah they did, but it was the Aussie who invented the whole in it!

[.... fancy doing it their own way against the whole world....

I'm so confused my head hurts. Plus I've always thought I was part Irish. Bill you have just confirmed it, when I go to TBHS or order my crystal on-line from Craft Brewer they recognise my Irish ancestry and display EBC so I don't get confused. Hence when I talk of 120 and 270 I am talking EBC, as long as we are comparing apples with apples I won't need an aspirin [lol].

ebc.png

The Cara Crystal 120 on the website link is 120 EBC. So that would be around 60L.

Bah!!... is this where I insert an Irish Joke?.... fancy doing it their own way against the whole world.... [roll]

Do you know the Irish invented the toilet seat?... yeah they did, but it was the Aussie who invented the whole in it!

The letters "EBC" after the number "120" was the big giveaway [biggrin]

[.... fancy doing it their own way against the whole world....

I'm so confused my head hurts. Plus I've always thought I was pert Irish. Bill you have just confirmed it, when I go to TBHS or order my crystal on-line from Craft Brewer they recognise my Irish ancestry and display EBC so I don't get confused. Hence when I talk of 120 and 270 I am talk EBC, as long as we are comparing apples with apples I won't need an aspirin [lol].

ebc.png

Scott... if one writes Crystal 120 then one would assume that it is refering to Lovibond. Craftbrewer clearly identifies the figure they talk is EBC. Hence Crystal Malt Dark EBC 220-260 is written. [innocent]

Scott... if one writes Crystal 120 then one would assume that it is refering to Lovibond. Craftbrewer clearly identifies the figure they talk is EBC. Hence Crystal Malt Dark EBC 220-260 is written. [innocent]

[sideways] [alien] How do you ask for an aspirin in Gaelic

An bhuil Aspirin agut dom?

I'll have one too, cos this is not making any sense to me

What I want to know is why didn't they (whoever they are) inculcate my LHBS or Craft Brewer with the rules before I got my paradigm set [unsure]

Firstly, to retaliate at that Kiwi Joke that was rebranded as Irish:

Two Aussie cattle drovers standing in an Outback bar.

One asked, "What are you up to, Mate?"

- "Ahh, I'm takin' a mob of 6000 from Goondiwindi to Gympie."

"Oh yeah ... and what route are you takin'?"

- "Ah, probably the Missus; after all, she stuck by me durin' the drought."

Second:

Any time someone says 'dark crystal' I think of this

skeksis2.jpg

Third:

I have no crystal yet.

Finally:

What would be a good substitute for 250g Dark Crystal(270)?

cara crystal 120 EBC?

Finally:

What would be a good substitute for 250g Dark Crystal(270)?

cara crystal 120 EBC?

Eoin

Do you have IanH's spreadsheet.

If not post your recipe and I will plug in the numbers and give you an answer. I'm guessing that 175g of Car Aroma will give roughly the same end colour result. Your gonna need about 550g of Crystal 120 to get the same colour and I think that may end up a bit too sweet.

[alien] And now for the interesting (Alien) thing, nobody told IanH the rules of the game either. When he says Crystal 120 he means 120 EBC [alien]

Edit: BTW LMAO

Download brewmate

So they make the rules [rightful] [biggrin]

Had a look at it today, its free (or you can buy them a pint) so I reckon I might download it.

I'll just need to be mindful of converting Lovibond to EBC and vici versa [cool]

Brewmate

I got it, took no time at all, but now I'm in a quandary. When I set it up I have the choice between SRM and EBC.

EBC is about 1.97 times SRM which is which is approximately equal to the old Lovibond scale in most cases

In most cases [unsure].

I'm gunna stick with the good old EBC so when reading my posts and recipes bear in mind that I am of the EBC (European) School.

The letters "EBC" after the number "120" was the big giveaway [biggrin]

Yes, in the link if you find the Crystal aforementioned. However, in the OP there is no mention whatsoever!

[alien] And now for the interesting (Alien) thing, nobody told IanH the rules of the game either. When he says Crystal 120 he means 120 EBC [alien]

Edit: BTW LMAO

No.... if you buy Crystal 120 and bring it up in the ingredients then the spreadsheet does the conversion to EBC for you. Where does it say Crystal 120 EBC!!?

An bhuil Aspirin agut dom?

I'll have one too, cos this is not making any sense to me

What I want to know is why didn't they (whoever they are) inculcate my LHBS or Craft Brewer with the rules before I got my paradigm set [unsure]

Scott... you obviously need glasses to read and misplaced yours!!!

I said Craftbrewer clearly state EBC in their listing. As to your LHBS, if you are referring to Amanda in Hobart then she too has it clearly identified as EBC.

Download brewmate

So they make the rules [rightful] [biggrin]

Had a look at it today, its free (or you can buy them a pint) so I reckon I might download it.

I'll just need to be mindful of converting Lovibond to EBC and vici versa [cool]

NO!!... they don't make "the rules". However, it appears you seem to know a lot more than they do or others around here.

Last post I promise. If someone puts me straight I'll read it but I won't comment.

Screen Dump of IanH's spreadsheet. Just so that everyone is aware and compares apples with apples when designing their recipes.

ebcianh.png

Wow, it looks like I went to bed at about the right time last night...

Unfortunately I don't have excel on this PC, so IanH's spreadsheet is no use to me here, but I downloaded BrewmMate and although kinda confusing at first I think it is making a bit of sense.

Am I basically just aiming to end up with the same EBC as I would get with the original grain by tweaking the weight?

Archived