Coopers Community

Dark Crystal (270)

LordEoin

Hi Scottie. (No I'm not calling you "*****")

Some websites choose to list their grain colours in Lovibond, & some choose to list their colours in EBC.

This issue that has arisen with BillK & yourself is a simple misunderstanding of this.

To prove my point, below are two links. One is the CraftBrewer website you refer to, & the other is an American based ordering website. As you will see, the American site uses the Lovibond colour figures, & the CraftBrewer site (as you previously stated) uses the EBC values.

American site

CraftBrewer (AUS) site

If ordering your grains online, you simply need to be aware of which colour value system the website is using with their grains.

When I place orders, I don't use numbers. I just ask for the type of grain I want. i.e. Dark crystal or Light crystal, not Dark crystal 270 & Light crystal 60.

I hope that helps clear the air.

Now put your name back & continue on with us at the forum.

I like your input & humour. [biggrin]

Regards,

*******....Whoops! I mean Anthony. [tongue]

Am I basically just aiming to end up with the same EBC as I would get with the original grain by tweaking the weight?

I'm not sure if it works that way. You will have to increase the amount of light crystal to get the same EBC but then you will also increase the flavour & sweetness.

It might be best to get the crystal that is closest to the EBC you want and just run with that in the same quantity.

Archived