Coopers Community

My next IPA project

MarkB38

You might remember my misadventures last month with my IPA brew (authentic IPA but to 23 liters), particularly my "dry hopping issue", as well as indications from you all that I under pitched the yeast (just one 7g sachet). If you recall, I had all those floaties, I assume from the hops. Since then I did an APA using just a hop tea and 11g of US-05. That went pretty well.

I just tasted that IPA after a month, with rather low expectations. It was spectacular! I can't believe how great it turned out.

Now I'm thinking of putting together another IPA brew (this time maybe to just 20 liters). I was wondering whether to use two of the Coopers yeast sachets or an 11g Nottingham that's in the fridge. Any thoughts on Nottingham? Since my last IPA turned out so well, I don't want to do anything that might disappoint. Thanks.

Glad it turned out ok for you Mark.

With regards to the Notto then it will only improve it imo. I really doubt it will make it worse.

Notto is a fast fermenting yeast and it is a great flocca and gives good attenuation. Therefore, you should expect a lower FG than the previous recipe.

Nottingham would be a winner in my books. 1smiley1stcup.gif

Thanks. Would it be better to use it in one of my Pale Ale kits instead, and use two of the IPA kit yeasts, or maybe a US-05? Since my last IPA turned out so good with the kit yeast (even though I may have under pitched) I hate to monkey with success.

Thanks. Would it be better to use it in one of my Pale Ale kits instead' date=' and use two of the IPA kit yeasts, or maybe a US-05? [/quote']

Hey Mark

Eoin raises a good point.

In my experience there is absolutely no doubt that the yeast is going to change the character of your brew. It may only be subtle but it will be different. In fact pitching two kits yeasts into the same brew that you only pitched one last time will also lead to a subtle change.

It depends on what you are after, consistency or experimentation. Do you want every IPA to be the same as that last one or do you think you can make it better, or do you want to make it better.

At 20 litres this brew will be different anyway, so why not try the Nottingham as Bill suggests he knows his yeast. In your case I\u2019d save the US05 for a Pale Ale, and keep the kits yeasts in the fridge as backups, I\u2019ve got plenty (even off loaded \xbd dozen packs the other day to a workmate who hadn\u2019t brewed for a while and still had some kits ).

If you want a backup plan brew two back to back, your original and the new one.

I'd be using the specialty yeasts and leave the kit yeast in the fridge for a rainy day. It is always handy to have at least 1 pack of spare dried yeast in the fridge imo.

Yes, especially if you buy gluten free crumpets and start making them only to discover the packet of yeast that was meant to be included isn't there.

Then you can have beer tasting crumpets!!! [love] [love]

Nottingham has a reputation for reducing hop aroma so it may not be the choice yeast for APA or AIPA, that said I've used it many times in both those styles and as I generally dry hop like a mad man I'm not that concerned about it.

Notto is a great yeast but not my go to for these styles. Its always a good idea to have one in the fridge to use in a jam.

Yob

Nottingham has a reputation for reducing hop aroma so it may not be the choice yeast for APA or AIPA, that said I've used it many times in both those styles and as I generally dry hop like a mad man I'm not that concerned about it.

Notto is a great yeast but not my go to for these styles. Its always a good idea to have one in the fridge to use in a jam.

Yob

what is your recommendation for yeast for an IPA, i have done 2 now and used kit yeast for the first and S04 for the second which is still in the FV. i have also started brewing stouts so what is your view on yeast for this as well?

Sounds like I should leave the Notty in the fridge, and either get some Windsor or even use the yeast kit, since that worked out so well in my last IPA. But I guess I should double up (according to MrMalty), even though things worked out OK last time with one pack. Thanks.

My limited experience with gluten free food has led me to believe that gluten is the magic ingredient that makes food tasty.

I am planning on opening a brew pub with food that contains extra gluten.

I will call it The Glute Inn [devil]

Never tried Notto in Jam. I am guessing Raspberry to be the nicest?... I can imagine the ABV% of it now.... >40%? A contender to beat Brewmeister's latest achievement maybe?

Archived