Coopers Community

Real Ale - fast fermentation

Adz

Perhaps in future I'll replace lines like "let the rain fall" in my posts' date=' with lines like, "further comments expected". [/quote']

[cool] Long run outlook is for sunshine...no rain fall expected.

[happy] Happy Brewing and Happy Kegging[happy]

Hi guys.

I must admit, I do find these discussions on beer clarity very interesting. Discussions on this seem to break out regularly in different threads on the forum intermittently.

I would like to make it clear, that I do not disagree with the majority of what has already been said & recommended.

However, like the topic suggests, it does need to be "Filtered". [tongue]

Attaining certain levels of clarity becomes subjective to a point based on each brewers individual brewing cycle, & the way they drink. I mean you can't compare someone who is able to ferment multiple brews at once, to that of a new brewer that has a single FV, & expect he/she to leave that brew 3+ weeks in a fermenter, & then another 2 weeks minimum for secondary fermentation to reach a basic level of carbonation before he/she can actually drink their beer.

There are also the differences between preparing beer for bottling where you drink from the bottle/stubby, where you pour from the bottle into a glass, & of course kegging beer. Each of these (IMHO) requires a brewer to attain different levels of clarity.

In a nutshell my advice is. . .

If you like to drink from the bottle/stubby: Use a secondary Fermentation Vessel to strain your primary ferment into (once finished fermenting), before you bottle. This will reduce sediment significantly.

If you like to regularly pour your beer into a glass from a bottle/stubby: Bottling from the primary fermenter is fine. however the longer you leave your brew in the primary fermenter, the less you will have to decant off as you pour.

If you keg your beer: By filtering your brew/beer as much as possible, prior to filling your keg(s), the equipment & lines you use will be less likely to blockages & bacteria, along with being much easier to keep clean.

Cold Conditioning your beer before drinking it will help with all three.

There, I've said it. Let the rain fall. [devil]

Beer.

I can't say that I really understand any of that advice Lusty?!?

Maybe I need to go back and read it a third time but I can't say that I agree with much if any of it. Don't mean to be overly negative but it was all a bit strange [unsure]

Hi Muddy.

I can't say that I really understand any of that advice Lusty?!?

That is your opinion, & you are entitled to it.

This thread was started by a newcomer to the forum (Adz). His questions progressed about his current brew & about when he should bottle etc. Subsequent replies spoke of drinking cycles & other related points.

My comments were primarily posted for the benefit of Adz & anyone on the forum that has just got their first FV & have begun brewing. I reinforced the fact that there are differences in circumstances between experienced brewers with multiple FV's & accessories & devices to produce better quality beer in the same time frames as someone with a single FV & a different schedule/cycle of wanting to drink their home-brew beer.

Unfortunately at times on the forum, retorts take isolated pieces of comments made out of context instead of reading the thread as a whole & what it relates to.

I stand by my comments.

P.S. I will not be posting again in this thread, so fire away as you please.

Beer.

Opinions are all well and good but offering advice that is downright wrong (or questionable at best) and then stand back expecting some kind of flame war isn\u2019t helpful to anyone. Are you one of those trolls that the nightly news keep s warning me about [lol]

I mean you can't compare someone who is able to ferment multiple brews at once' date=' to that of a new brewer that has a single FV, & expect he/she to leave that brew 3+ weeks in a fermenter, & then another 2 weeks minimum for secondary fermentation to reach a basic level of carbonation before he/she can actually drink their beer.[/quote']

Why do you say this? You only need 1 fv to make and properly age beer. It helps to have 2 to move on to bulk priming but some people are happy to use carb drops or prime their bottles individually. Also, of course you can expect a brewer, new or old, to restrain themselves at least 2 weeks before sampling there beer. I say sampling because anyone who drinks all of their beer young is only cheating themselves.

If you like to drink from the bottle/stubby: Use a secondary Fermentation Vessel to strain your primary ferment into (once finished fermenting)' date=' before you bottle. This will reduce sediment significantly.[/quote']

Again, Why? This is totally unnecessary unless you are bulk priming. You will have the same amount of sediment either way unless you are bottling on a boat or during an earthquake. If bottling from primary you just sacrifice the last mouthful and stop when the sediment heads for the tap.

[rightful] More importantly, you say to strain the beer. This, unless I am totally misunderstanding you, is horrible advice. You are more likely to oxidise you beer and ruin it rather than enhance it in any way. The only straining you should be doing is of your unfermented wort into the FV. Any unnecessary agitation should be avoided.

I don\u2019t agree with your kegging comments either but as I don't keg I'll not comment any more on that. Now, I am happy to finish on a positive note..............

Cold Conditioning your beer before drinking it will help with all three.

Couldn\u2019t agree more! [biggrin]

Now pick yourself up, dust off your dummy, and look forward to a future where you don't feel the need for a flamesuit.

Lusty you still haven't said whether you keg regularly or not.

The answer at this time is no I don't, but have 2 friends that I see regularly that do. I've also been in the Hotels/Liquor industry for some 13 odd years now, so I know my way around kegs & kegging systems pretty well.

I tend to agree with Scott here. If you haven't kegged then you haven't had the experience to pass on such advise. Working in pubs and bars is far from kegging your own beer, or any beer for that matter. Even though I no longer do but I too worked in pubs, bars and nightclubs for nearly 20 years so have a fair idea what goes on behind the scenes there too.

I also conclude that filtering your beer does sweet FA to minimising blockages in lines. [rightful]

I have followed and contributed to this thread. I have also gone back and re-read it.

A new brewer asked for advice on his brew and people responded positively to help him make the best beer possible. But in the end it is his brew and he will do what he likes, and will do so armed with more knowledge then he started with.

Most likely he will bottle after a week because, like most of us when we started, it is his first beer and you are dead keen to get them into bottles.

Lusty, the advice to leave the beer in the FV a little longer isn't driven totally by clarity. Leving the beer for a few more days after FG has been reached will allow the yeast to clean up after itself.

In the end, if you only have one FV then you need to decide between the following:

1. Churn out as much beer as fast as possible ie. quantity over quality, or

2. Make the best beer you can which means brewing less beer.

I have one FV and chose number 2. It has nothing to do with experience or fancy equipment, just the personal decision I made.

Lusty, I enjoy your posts and you often start some some great discussions on here. I also think it is great that you have different opinions to others. Don't be afraid to express your opinions but don't get offended if others express theirs.

Keep brewing and talking about your experiences.

I have followed and contributed to this thread. I have also gone back and re-read it.

A new brewer asked for advice on his brew and people responded positively to help him make the best beer possible. But in the end it is his brew and he will do what he likes, and will do so armed with more knowledge then he started with.

Most likely he will bottle after a week because, like most of us when we started, it is his first beer and you are dead keen to get them into bottles.

Lusty, the advice to leave the beer in the FV a little longer isn't driven totally by clarity. Leving the beer for a few more days after FG has been reached will allow the yeast to clean up after itself.

In the end, if you only have one FV then you need to decide between the following:

1. Churn out as much beer as fast as possible ie. quantity over quality, or

2. Make the best beer you can which means brewing less beer.

I have one FV and chose number 2. It has nothing to do with experience or fancy equipment, just the personal decision I made.

Lusty, I enjoy your posts and you often start some some great discussions on here. I also think it is great that you have different opinions to others. Don't be afraid to express your opinions but don't get offended if others express theirs.

Keep brewing and talking about your experiences.

I'm with Hairy[wink].

I have read all of the thread. My recent reading has been 1012 (was 1016 when it stopped bubbling). This makes the brew at 5.63% at the moment, from OG of 1054. Is it it really that strong? Can temperature affect the gravity ? (silly question)

Once again thank you for welcoming me. [happy]

My recent reading has been 1012 (was 1016 when it stopped bubbling). This makes the brew at 5.63% at the moment, from OG of 1054. Is it it really that strong? Can temperature affect the gravity ? (silly question)

Hey Adz

Depends on how much honey (grams) you added. IanH's spreadsheet puts a 23 litre brew at 5% without the honey. Temperature does make a slight difference, you can do a google on hydrometer temp corrections. an SG of 1054 does sound a little high at the start but it depends on how much honey you put in.

BTW After reading Hairy's post I realised this is your thread and only your second post [innocent] . Welcome to the forum and the world of home brewing sit back and enjoy the ride [biggrin]

Archived