Coopers Community

Airlock bubbling FG staying the same ????

BunyipR

Hey guys

its been about 7days from when i started this brew.

The airlock is still bubbling away. its bubbles about once every minute or so. But i took a gravity ready 2 days ago and it was 1020 took another on today and it was also 1020. The OG was 1050.

Its a tooheys special draught kit with an Ale yeast that im making.

I havent done anything special to it just followed the instructions and added the liquid brewing sugar (1kg).

It tastes pretty good at the moment. but Im confused my understanding was that if its stopped fermenting the airlock should stop bubbling.

Also the instructions say that the FG should be around 1006.

not really sure whats happening with it.

i kept the temp at 18C for the first 5 days then the last two the temps gone up to about 24-26 ( i was told this was good, as the main fermentation was already done and it wont affect the flavour or get any infections).

Hoping you guys can help me out. I was thinking that if the gravity is still 1020 tomorrow i will just bottle it. by my calculations that should give me a 4.6% alchol beer.

Thanks

Bunyip

My advice would be to wait 14 days before bottling any homebrew and still do two consecutive readings.

I\u2019m not going to comment about your airlock, I'll just duck from the inevitable ones to follow [biggrin] Ignore the airlock

But i took a gravity ready 2 days ago and it was 1020 took another on today and it was also 1020. The OG was 1050.

Its a tooheys special draught kit with an Ale yeast that im making.

I havent done anything special to it just followed the instructions and added the liquid brewing sugar (1kg).

It tastes pretty good at the moment. but Im confused my understanding was that if its stopped fermenting the airlock should stop bubbling.

Also the instructions say that the FG should be around 1006.

not really sure whats happening with it.

i kept the temp at 18C for the first 5 days then the last two the temps gone up to about 24-26 ( i was told this was good, as the main fermentation was already done and it wont affect the flavour or get any infections).

I agree Bunyip that 1.020 is way too high, especially for a kit and a kilo of plain suger. Make sure you have degassed your sample before checking the SG. If you do and it still goes only 1.020 then I suggest that your yeast has gone to sleep.

My advice would be to wait 14 days before bottling any homebrew and still do two consecutive readings.

Hmmm, I always leave mine about two weeks but I don't ever do two readings. I really should hey. I just look at it and go "yeah, that's low enough" and then go bottling away.

Having said that, I'll often do a half way reading so if it's only changed by a small amount in that last week I figure it's all good.

You know ... I should really check my cider to see how tight the bottles are. I really was lazy on that one - don't want a bomb to go off!

I agree Bunyip that 1.020 is way too high, especially for a kit and a kilo of plain suger. Make sure you have degassed your sample before checking the SG. If you do and it still goes only 1.020 then I suggest that your yeast has gone to sleep.

Ok Will ill keep waiting and checking it. its deffinately degassed i make sure of that. although im not sure my OG was done correctly.

and Graham ill wait longer.

Thanks guys

Bunyip

i kept the temp at 18C for the first 5 days then the last two the temps gone up to about 24-26 ( i was told this was good' date=' as the main fermentation was already done and it wont affect the flavour or get any infections).[/quote']

Whoever told you that load of crap need be banished. In other words after day 3 you raised the temp to 24C-26C [pinched]

Nwevertheless, why the rush to bottle it?... patience is key. You may also have a stuck ferment.

I don't ever do two readings. I really should hey. I just look at it and go "yeah' date=' that's low enough" and then go bottling away.[/quote']

I make Plambics and use some of the nasties we try to keep out of our main stream brews, my FG's come out around 0.95.

Some infections can 'ferment the non-fermentables' (ie lactobacillus) so imagine if you bottle at 1.010 and your brew kept fermenting down to 1 .... Booooom [devil]

Never assume your brew has finished fermenting

Ruddager, I don't think that they would explode. I had one that built up a bit of pressure once and it eventually ruptured the plastic, but once there was somewhere for the pressure to go that was it. Nothing exciting at all, just a slow leak.

Archived