Coopers Community

Washing PET bottles ?

MurrayD1

Hi, I've got plenty of PET 750ml Coopers homebrew bottles, but the last couple of brews I've just drank the beer, rinsed them out with water, made sure they looked clean, dried them, and then used them for the next brew.

I figured they were pretty clean and dry, so no probs.

Everything has been fine.

Now I wondering if I'm courting trouble and if I should be sanitizing them before putting the next brew in. What do you think?

I rinse my PETs thouroughly with water once emptied, including putting some water in the bottle with the cap on and shake it vigourously, then rinse again. This usually dislodges any solid matter from the bottle. Then drain well, I use a bottle tree for this. Before refilling I use a no rinse sanitiser and have never had a problem. I have used my PETs many times over.

I think you're courting trouble.

Get yourself some Starsan or other no rinse sanitiser & that should eliminate infection worries.

+1

Get some sanitiser. If you don't then it is just a matter of time. You might get away with it for a while but Starsan, for less than 1c to do this then why risk it?

I agree with the other respondents that you SHOULD sanitize with starsan or something similar[innocent] BUT I'm a really lazy brewer[ninja] and I've been "getting away" [devil] with rinsing after drinking a bottle (P.E.T.) and leaving on the drying tree until the box is empty.

I used to use sodium percarbonate for a while but for the last 8-9 years have just been rinsing and so far have not had an infection. Maybe I have just been very lucky[innocent] [roll] [tongue] [w00t] [whistling

If I get an infection I will probably have to change my filthy ways[w00t] [sideways]

Thanks guys that was great info, I have my First brew ready for the drinking and will be having to do same with my pet bottles so this topic was sensational for me.

1 other question do you replace the lids each time or can they be re-used even though the seal has been broken ?

Ken

I think you're courting trouble.

Get yourself some Starsan or other no rinse sanitiser & that should eliminate infection worries.

+1

Get some sanitiser. If you don't then it is just a matter of time. You might get away with it for a while but Starsan, for less than 1c to do this then why risk it?

+2

Thanks guys that was great info, I have my First brew ready for the drinking and will be having to do same with my pet bottles so this topic was sensational for me.

1 other question do you replace the lids each time or can they be re-used even though the seal has been broken ?

Ken

Some of my lids would be pushing 2 years plus and being regularly used. No need to replace them for quite sometime imo.

I also pull the collar off.

Archived