Coopers Community

Cube vs. Carboy

Canadian Eh!L

What's the difference, eh??

I hear all this talk about cubing this brew or that brew before it gets kegged. What the @#$% is the difference between putting your brew in an glass carboy and a "cube" for secondary "storage". This seems to me to be an old method of using carboys under another term "cubed".[unsure]

This seems lame to me.[annoyed] Since i've been using a secondary carboy as "storage vessel for years and have been totally ignored as a usefull method and now I see it is semi-common practise.

What's the diff?[unsure]

I hear all this talk about cubing this brew or that brew before it gets kegged. What the @#$% is the difference between putting your brew in an glass carboy and a "cube" for secondary "storage". This seems to me to be an old method of using carboys under another term "cubed".[unsure]

This seems lame to me.[annoyed] Since i've been using a secondary carboy as "storage vessel for years and have been totally ignored as a usefull method and now I see it is semi-common practise.

What's the diff?[unsure]

Around these here parts you will find that most references to cubing refer to storing the wort in the cube/jerry can before fermenting, not as a secondary.

This method is mostly used by people that 'no chill', that is instead of chilling the wort after the boil, the wort is transferred to a cube whilst hot and left to cool naturally.

You can then ferment this the next day or even months later when you are ready. It is like having a fresh wort kit at your disposal.

If you are using it as a secondary then there is no real difference between using a cube or carboy.

I don't think anyone discounts your use of a secondary because it has a reason. From memory you use a secondary to free up FV/Carboys for primary.

I don't use a secondary because I don't have a need. I rarely brew lagers and my ales are bottled after approx. 2 weeks. I also don't have multiple brews on the go and bottling straight from primary off the trub doesn't worry me. I would use a secondary if I wanted to lager for a long period of time.

Chad, if your practices work for you then don't worry what other people think of them.

Hairy,

So does this mean there is a diff between a cude and a carboy or not?

They are a different shape. If used for the same purpose then there is no real difference.

Note: Sorry, I edited my earlier post whilst you posted the above.

So does this mean there is a diff between a cude and a carboy or not?

Different container to do the same thing. They're both just big bottles.

I understood cubing to be the same a what Hairy said, mixing up a wort to keep for a later date. The term 'cube' is just because cheaper jerry cans are square and easy to store.

I don't see any point in cubing a kit beer, as it's basically 'cubed' into a tin, just add water.

But for all grain, if someone wants to have one brewday dedicated to just making wort it can stock them up for a month or so and then just dump it into FVs when needed.

I've heard of people cubing as a secondary for aging like muddy said, but really only for long, cheap and convenient 'set and forget' lagering.

I'm really not concerned with the shape or the matter the vessel it is made from but whether it does the same purpose.

They both hold liquid, so yeah [biggrin]

Provided you get a food grade container, one will be just as good as the other.

If you could get a 5 gallon sandwich bag and it would do the same thing[biggrin]

Now that would be an interesting development in homebrewing... Giant tapped bags, like the bag in a box of 'goon' but 5 times the size...

no need to be confused. sandwiches are the currency of my people...

But soup+sandwich is an awesome meal, so lets cut out the middleman by processing the sandwich into a soup, lets call it 'sandwich soup'.

That would settle nicely into carboy, cube or bag and it would go well with a pint of beer and a packet of crisps. [biggrin]

I'm really not concerned with the shape or the matter the vessel it is made from but whether it does the same purpose.

If you could get a 5 gallon sandwich bag and it would do the same thing[biggrin]

Now that would be an interesting development in homebrewing... Giant tapped bags, like the bag in a box of 'goon' but 5 times the size...

[lol] a 5 gallon goon bag would break my clothes line.

Well I am going against the grain here and beg to differ.... they ARE used for different purposes and a cube can also be used the same as a carboy BUT a Carboy can't be used the same as a cube if intended for a no chill.

Hot wort goes into the Cube after a boil generally for the ease to squeeze out any air to enable a seal and the least amount of air as possible. Can you squeeze a Carboy to do this?... no!

It then allows the wort to cool down without any help or other means. You can then store the cube for months if you want before needing to ferment.

Can you squeeze a Carboy to do this?

If its plasic, yes.

At the end of the day, a carboy, buckey, cube, bag, jar, are the same thing and temperatures within recommended brewing ranges would not be enough to cause any damage to your equipent.

Sorry LordEoin but that was not what I was answering... the question was to do with a glass carboy not a plastic one ... it's a bit hard to squeeze glass [pinched]

What the @#$% is the difference between putting your brew in an glass carboy and a "cube" for secondary "storage".

[lol] a 5 gallon goon bag would break my clothes line.

No goon of fortune with them then![biggrin]

Archived