Coopers Community

Real Ale 1st attempt

Alex

Gentlemen,

This is my first post and second attempt at brewing EVER.

This is what I did...

Real Ale

1 Kg Dextrose

600g Hi-Malt Glucose.

23L water

Avg Temp 22C

OG was 1.041 which I thought would be a bit higher

On day 3 I added 20g of Golding hops 5.4% A.A. in a Muslin cloth.

I hope it turns out well. I guess the questions I have is how can I brew a higher gravity beer next time? My next venture will be...

Thomas Coopers Wheat Kit

1Kg Dried Wheat malt extract

600g Hi Malt Glucose

29g Hallertauer hops during the boil.

I would like a FG in the 1.050 1.060 range.

Thanks in advance, and cheers!

Welcome to the forum Alex

That first recipe I believe is equivalent to 1.3kg Dex and 300g malt. Therefore, personally I reckon the other way around would give you a better result. 1.3kg malt and 300g dex. Anyhow, it's done now and I am sure you'll drink it as your first brew is always a buzz.

Using those ingredients in your 2nd brew you will be pushing it to reach a 1060 OG, not FG. (OG = Original Gravity, FG = Final Gravity, SG = Specific Gravity.)

Is there any specific reason you want to push for a high gravity?

HERE is an online calculator which will give you estimates of what you want. I suggest playing around a little to find something with the ingredients you have.

One word of advice though, more malt less simple sugars will give you a better outcome.

HI Bill,

Thanks for the response!

My apologies for the FG comment on my next recipe. I meant OG.

So, with all your advise and my potential recipe for the wheat ale, do you think I will be able to reach a higher gravity with what I have stated?

The reason I would like a higher gravity is simply for a bigger and/or stronger beer.

**Edit** Thanks for the Calculator page. I understand it says that calcs vary but, it says my initial Real Ale OG should have been 1.051, but it was 1.041. I know that warmer worts are float lower than cold. When I read the Hydro the temp was 28C.

Cheers Mate!!! [annoyed] Drinking Molson Canadian out of a can right now!! lol

No need to apologise, we knew what you meant I was just correcting you so you also know [rightful]

In short for a wheat with that recipe then no. You will not reach 50-60

If you want a bigger beer then I suggest trying one of the recipes in the How To Brew section. Then start doing some of your own when you have an idea.

**Edit** Thanks for the Calculator page. I understand it says that calcs vary but, it says my initial Real Ale OG should have been 1.051, but it was 1.041. I know that warmer worts are float lower than cold. When I read the Hydro the temp was 28C.

1.041 corrected at 28C = 1.044. Therefore, your correct reading is actually 1.044. Nevertheless, possibly the Hi-Malt Glucose isn't what I thought it was. That being 50% Malt and 50% Dex or possibly the ingredients weren't completely dissolved in your wort which wouldn't really matter (just gives you an incorrect reading)

I really can't say why but if I were you I would be finding out what exactly is in Hi-Malt Glucose or just brew with Malt and Dextrose which I have no doubt would be a lot cheap anyway.

Hey guys,

I am on day day 6 of my Real ale.

It is still cloudy as hell. I mean, I take my Afghanistan surefire light with over a 100 lummens to it and I can only see "maybe 3 inches" through the brew.

Is this normal?

Hey guys,

I am on day day 6 of my Real ale.

It is still cloudy as hell. Is this normal?

closet2.jpg

Hey Alex

Believe it or not these two brews ended up the same colour. The one on the left (Clear) has been in the FV for 13 days while the cloudy one on the right has only been there for 6 days. A graphical representation of the benefits of 14 days in the FV [cool]

WOW!! The one on the right is EXACTLY how mine looks now, but I got an SG of 1.008.

I didn't think you could wait that long. So should I wait until it gets clear to bottle? Or just giver when I get 1.008 two days in a row?

Umm quick question! I just took a reading for the hell of it.

Yesterday I got 1.005...today (day7) I got a reading of 1.000

I am using the hydrometer right, there is enough fluid...I spun it before reading. I am reading the meniscus and not to rising liquid.

I just tasted it and it tastes a little like sparkling apple juice, beer,hops, and alcohol.

Help?

**Edit** My hydrometer reads water at at .9925?? That is odd.

From How To Brew - John Palmer...

Cidery flavors can have several causes but are often the result of adding too much cane or corn sugar to a recipe. One component of a cidery flavor is acetaldehyde which has a green-apple character. It is a common fermentation byproduct and different yeasts will produce different levels of it depending on the recipe and temperature. Cidery flavors are encouraged by warmer than normal temperatures and can be decreased by lagering

I do believe I suggested in an earlier post that a general rule of the thumb would be not having a lot of Dextrose. [sideways]

Nevertheless, it may go with a bit of time in storage.

Assuming you tested the hydrometer in 20C water then you need to have it replaced or do some calculation adjustments.

.need to cut some of the red off...maybe even all of it.

Hey Alex

Best if you cut of small pieces and don't be too heavy handed. Mine was out by .005 and after several small snips it now reads spot on. You can't stick the red piece back on if you cut too much off [bandit].

I persisted for a while by adding .005 to my readings but now as I only measure the terminal SG its best to have an accurate Hydro.

Archived