Coopers Community

Irish stout

Nick

If you want it a little higher you can always put in another 250g DME if you are quick. I'd leave it if you had to wait another day or so though.

Another 250g DME will give you about the target you are after.

I think i will leave it exactly as the recipe suggests, then adjust it next time if i think it needs it. ABV will be about 4.4% which is fine with me.

One thing i have noticed this morning is the complete lack of a krausen. it has only been 15 hours and fermentation has started as the CO2 is very strong when you put your nose over the FV. this is my first stout and all the info on the forum suggest a very active ferment and large krausen. does any one know whats happening here? even my lagers and pale ales have had a nice krausen after the same length of time.[unsure]

By the way, yeast was pitched at 29 degrees

UPDATE-lots of tiny bubbles popping on the surface, but not forming a krausen. i'm off to golf now and hoping for some reasuring news when i return

Cheers Nick

Have fun chasing that silly white ball around [lol] I don't mind a round of golf actually... anyway to the point, there's no standard with the krausen. Some brews form one quickly, others take a while. That toucan stout took about 36-48 hours to form a krausen, and it was pretty volcanic once it did. I'd leave it, if it goes past 48 hours with no real sign of activity then it might be time to assess the situation more.[joyful]

No need to worry about a krausen. It means nothing... provided your wort is fermenting then its fine. Stop stressing' date=' relax, sit back and have a beer.[/quote']

+1 have a beer and relax as long as its fermenting its all good[cool] I used to stress over every brew when I began but once got the hang of things and branched out I have learnt let it be just keep the temps right and you get good beer. and after many really good batches I just let it do its thing. More beer is good beer [biggrin]

well fermentations cranking 1035 to 1012 in 36 hours, even tastes ok! i think i'll ignore the lack of krausen and look forward to bottling day. its the first of 10 brews that didnt form a krausen, but the one i expected the most.

cheers for the reassurances guys[roll]

Archived