Coopers Community

Beer and chilli

GrahamB8

The other night I made an onion chutney with an ample amount of hot dry chilli, its absolutely stunning with a bit of cheese and ham.

So here Im sat reading your posts and having a small plate of the above, next to me is a rather bitter hoppy IPA, also divine and the keg is close to depletion.

So I take a good swig, mouth still tingling from the chilli and I have to say it, and you may disagree, but its akin to drinking pure orange after brushing teeth.

The bitterness, citrus and chilli just dont seem to gel, there actually clashing.....Not pleasant, infact rather disapointing.

Thought I would share that with you this Friday night ... the missus doesnt seem to care [sad]

A local brewery where I live makes a great "chilli tripel" It doesn't taste like chilli, you just get that little bit of warmth on the aftertaste, in my opinion its a great combo!

I'v actually been thinking of trying to make a clone of it[ninja] But haven't gotten far yet..

However tasted a beer that had the taste of green chilli.. Not great at all!

Yes there are a few Chilli Beers around. There are a few people that also use chilli in their home brew. However, it is all about balance and I am guessing the way this was consumed would drastically impact the balance expectation.

If you want to give it a go then grab a chilli beer from the grog shop and try it. I reckon you'll be quite surprised with the difference.

I remember the first time I ever saw the words "Chilli beer" & thinking how ridiculous that concept is. It's a real oxy-moron.

Let's put something hot & spicy in something cold & refreshing. [sick]

Hey while we're at it, why don't we pour in some sour cream?!!

I don't think so. [roll]

Leave the chilli with the food I say.

Beer.

I was more about commenting on BillK's post, & trying to deter any poor fellow from wasting a brew on something like that.

Ohh, I just thought of another potential use of chilli, yet unused.... On your Corn Flakes!! Chilli Corn Flakes!

Are you pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

There are just some things that are a "No No" in life.

And chilli crops up in more than a passing few of those. [tongue]

Beer.

Like tomato sauce on ice cream?[lol] [lol] Chilli corn flakes would be interesting.. wouldn't be unlike chilli flavoured corn chips.

I've heard stories of pregnant women who eat things like that! [innocent]

Beer.

G'day Ivon T.
Cerveza is great for washing down chilli dishes

I reckon there are a few blokes on this forum that would say...

"Cerveza is great for washing down dishes". hehe. [lol]

Beer.

Just speaking out of experience.... Fajitas, Nachos, frijoles and Chiles Relenos have all been washed down by a cerveza or two.

I was a little drunk when I made this post but the point was that my highly bittered Cascade/Simcoe/Coloumbus/Chinook flavoured IPA did not (for me) go down well after a hit of chilli.

I got myself all comfortable after raiding the fridge and was really taken back by the mismatch, we live and learn!

There was a lovely chocolate chilli stout at the GABS festival this year.. mmmmmm three things that are delectable in one glass!

I am with PB2 - I tested some Pepper in a Belgian Wit the other day - just ground it straight in (for experimentation) and the heat of the pepper goes really really well. The smell in particular was amazing.

I tested some Pepper in a Belgian Wit the other day - just ground it straight in (for experimentation) and the heat of the pepper goes really really well. The smell in particular was amazing.

hmm interesting mate, I never thought of adding pepper to beer. The reason that peaks my interest is that the other day someone introduced me to strawberry sandwiches with fresh ground pepper, bloody lovely they were

the other day someone introduced me to strawberry sandwiches with fresh ground pepper' date=' bloody lovely they were[/quote']

Wow... I may have to try this.... did you butter the bread or was it just strawberries and pepper?

Sorry to take this OT.

I remember the first time I ever saw the words "Chilli beer" & thinking how ridiculous that concept is. It's a real oxy-moron.

Let's put something hot & spicy in something cold & refreshing. [sick]

Hey while we're at it, why don't we pour in some sour cream?!!

I don't think so. [roll]

Leave the chilli with the food I say.

Beer.

Ever heard of garlic beer? [sick] [sick] [sick]

I swear, those hardcore garlic lovers must have been brainwashed by a twisted cult or something. The crazy bastards put that stuff in absolutely EVERYTHING, including ice cream and, yes, beer.

Garlic in beer... could be good with the right style and dose of garlic.

I am yet to try the peppered strawberry sandwiches but someone the other day made mention of a slice of cheddar cheese, sprinkled with fresh ground coffee and drizzle a little honey over the top.

Now I have 3 things to try which includes the garlic beer. Thanks

Archived