Coopers Community

Irish Stout

Nick

i am going to do an irish stout on the weekend, straight off the "how to brew". i have always enjoyed Murphies Irish stout in the 440ml can with a widget. is any one familiar with MIS and is the recipe close? any suggestions on how to improve or make it close? would a small amount of golden sysrup help to make it a more creamy beer? not sure why i would think that, but i know the brains trust here will put me in the right direction.[unsure]

I think you will be hard pressed to get an extract murpheys recipe to be honest mate.. not coz it's a bad drink but because its a good one and probably hard to replicate without such things as water adjustments and a decent grain additon.

I may be wrong but if you do find one be sure to post it here [wink]

The 2can stout that goes about here sometimes gets a good wrap, maybe someone knows where that is and can point you that way.

Yob

"Good to hear that you like the Irish Stout - I designed it to come out somewhere between a Murphy's and a Guinness in the 440ml can."

i found this in an old thread from 2007, if PB2 is correct, i will be a very happy boy[love]

lol, that's pretty much exactly how I described it on another thread somewhere lost to the sands of time. Well done Paul, now just remove the guinness factor from it and it is perfect [biggrin]

Anyway, last time I brewed this I based it loosely off the Best Extra Stout and Irish Stout recipes and ended up with :

Brewmaster Irish Stout to 22l

500g dark dry malt

500g Dry wheat Malt

500g Dextrose

OG 1.047, pitched at 22C

Brewed at 18C

FG 1.014

Primed @ 6g per liter.

ABV (aprox)4.8%

I'm itching to make another batch, but I'm trying to choke down the International Stout at the moment (not as nice).

When I make it next I think I'll probably do away with the dextrose and use another 500g LDM or some chocolate grain or something.

So yeah, the Irish stout is approved by a beer bellied Irishman [biggrin]

I wouldn't question that recipe from LordEoin.... getting it from the Irish is a bonus [rightful]

Nevertheless, I also agree with Yob. The toucan stout is a good one too and very very easy to make. It does need time in the bottle but is a nice drop when ready. I still have one on tap from last January [biggrin]

1 can Coopers Stout

1 can Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

Both kit yeast

+2 to the toucan stout. I brewed one a little while ago, it's been in the bottles a bit over a month I think. I tried one last week to see how it's progressing, even now it's a nice drop, but it will be left alone largely until next winter I'd imagine. I'll try one a month just out of curiosity but I've got plenty of other brews to drink while it ages.[biggrin]

Archived