Coopers Community

Oak In Your Beer?!

HenrikF

Hello fellow brewers[happy]

Had a beer aged in oak barrels yesterday, so i am wondering if anyone have tried this, either via oak-tea or oak 'dryhopping'?

If so, is there a recipe and/or special type beer oak would go better with?

Looking forward to hearing if anyone has any experience with oakchips?

Cheers in advance[lol]

Edit: I am going to bottle, and don't have a second fermenter..

i have a large pile of toasted american oak strips. they are used to make "scorpions"

Scorpions are small lattice like things that are used in metal wine barrels to imitate the action of wine maturing in real oak barrels. i dont know what flavor they would give beer or how much or how long in the fermenter, and also how they would be steralised without absorbing the bleach, but would be interested to know.

it's pretty common in big breweries as it speeds up fermenting and lagering. something to do with the wood chips giving more surface area for the yeast to cling to.

Budweiser 'beechwood age' their beers as a cunning advertising ploy to turn a layer of beechwood chips on the bottom of the secondary FV (for about 19 days apparently according to google) into something that sounds like 'We have left our beer in huge beechwood casks to condition naturally'.

On the flip side though, charred oak chips are added to whiskey for flavor and color, simulating the proper way of aging them in charred oak barrels. I remember reading an article at some stage about making scotch out of vodka this way...

Maybe if you lager on charred oak chips you might get some nice flavors out of it.

Otherwise, here's a guide on how to toast your own oak chips and make an oak tea: LINKYLINK

Hi Hank,

As Hairy already stated I use oak chips in a brew that has turn out to be my favourite recipe. I normally just sprinkle the oak chips in dry at the same time that you sprinkle in your yeast. The last time I put this one down I steamed the chips over the boiling kettle as a experiment to extract more flavour and sanitise them. I found it made no difference. Some folks like to soak the chips in whiskey to add flavour and sanitise. To each their own.

As far as what styles use oak. I would say any style that was traditionally aged in a cask/barrel ie IPA's or Old Ale.

Big Island IPA

1.7Kg OS Real Ale

1.1Kg LDM

566g Amber LME

150g 40L crystal malt

30g Oak Chips (sprinkled @ ferment)

20g Cascade (30mins)

20g Nelson Sauvin (10mins)

10g Cascade, N. Sauvin, Amarillo (dry hopped)

21L water

US-05

120g Dex (bulk prime)

This one is my best beer to come out of my brewery by far. I have gone on about it before and would love you you (or someone else) to give it a go.

Thanks all for your replys[happy]

I was looking around the interweb last night, as SWMBO was watching some reality-crap, and found a few things..

This explains a thing or two about how to use oak in beer..

So with a lot of new info I think I am going to do something along the ways of a scotish ale with fuggles and challenger but on the malty side, and then make a "hop-tea" with 30 grams of medium roast oak-chips. Added to FV at day 4 or 5.

Sorry Eh!L but I just cant get Nelson Sauvin hops in Denmark[crying] Your recipe does look great though! If someday I can get NS I will give it a go[cool]

And Lord about the cheat Whisky made with vodka, I have a "flip-top" glass with 1,5 L vodka and 150 grams oak chips that have been standing about 1,5 years! Going for 10-12..[bandit] Did actually think of adding a bit of this to the beer!?

GrahamB8 do you have a link?

Hi Hank,

As Hairy already stated I use oak chips in a brew that has turn out to be my favourite recipe. I normally just sprinkle the oak chips in dry at the same time that you sprinkle in your yeast. The last time I put this one down I steamed the chips over the boiling kettle as a experiment to extract more flavour and sanitise them. I found it made no difference. Some folks like to soak the chips in whiskey to add flavour and sanitise. To each their own.

As far as what styles use oak. I would say any style that was traditionally aged in a cask/barrel ie IPA's or Old Ale.

Big Island IPA

1.7Kg OS Real Ale

1.1Kg LDM

566g Amber LME

150g 40L crystal malt

30g Oak Chips (sprinkled @ ferment)

20g Cascade (30mins)

20g Nelson Sauvin (10mins)

10g Cascade, N. Sauvin, Amarillo (dry hopped)

21L water

US-05

120g Dex (bulk prime)

This one is my best beer to come out of my brewery by far. I have gone on about it before and would love you you (or someone else) to give it a go.

Thanks Eh!L,This recipe i'll use in my Next Step to become a BrewMaster.[joyful] [joyful] [lol]

Archived