Coopers Community

Good Beer is Your Right

Good Beer is Your Right

Chris Farley, Founder & President (of Northern Brewer)

I once heard Alice Waters say in an interview that good food was not a privilege or a luxury, it\u2019s a right. That statement could be even more specific: good beer is not a privilege or a luxury, it\u2019s a right.

I don\u2019t think Ms. Waters would need much convincing that beer is food. It\u2019s as much a part of diet and cuisine as wine, and the origins of many classic styles point to this fact: Bock and Doppelbock as \u201cliquid bread\u201d in German monasteries, Saisons and Bieres de Garde as seasonal provisions in rural northern Europe, brown porter as the energy drink of manual laborers in Victorian England. And it\u2019s no surprise that so many homebrewers are also avid cooks, barbecuers, veggie gardeners, and harvesters of fish and game.

We as a society have had a bit of a toxic relationship with beer over the years, forgetting sometimes that it\u2019s a food and not just an agent of intoxication (remember the lessons of 1919). The major accomplishment of Prohibition \u2013 besides lining the coffers of organized crime \u2013 was crippling the American brewing industry, and the result was the bottlenecking of our native beer into the long-shadowed monolith of Lite Lager.

Beer, as Norman McClean wrote, \u201cused to come from your town or the next town over, and not St. Louis or Milwaukee.\u201d Thanks to the craft beer movement, this is largely the case once again \u2013 American breweries are at roughly the same number today as they were before the Volstead Act.

You make a choice, a vote, a statement every time you open a bottle of craft or homebrewed beer instead of a can from a factory with an advertising budget that could swallow your local microbrewery whole.

Protect your right to good beer! Drink beer brewed by an artisan \u2013 whether that artisan is in a brewery, or in a kitchen or basement \u2013 who knows and cares about his or her craft, and not a product fermented to specifications decided upon in a boardroom.

Slainte, Prosit, and Cheers!

Like your porter=energy drink, stout would traditionally have been drank during the workday and almost treated like food.

Guiness used have slogans like 'Guinness for Strength' and 'Guinness is good for you' etc until everyone got all oversensitive. Now they have to say stuff like 'Time for a Guinness'

Regarding 'good beer' it doesnt have to come from an artisan microbrewery or made in someone's shed. There are plenty of awesome mass produced beers that you'll get in any offlicense like bud light, VB and rolling rock.

But no, seriouly there are plenty [biggrin]

guinnessforstrengthposters.jpg

For a minute there I thought this was as original Captain Yobbo piece. I quickly realised that there is a misplaced reference in there. I don't know much about the rules of beer forums but I hope that the Captain can't be charged with plagiarism.

Interesting argument though

Beer is Food
.... did you hear that SWMBO?

You make a choice' date=' a vote, a statement every time you open a bottle of craft or homebrewed beer instead of a can from a factory with an advertising budget that could swallow your local microbrewery whole.[/quote']

I'll drink (a homebrew) to that! [rightful]

You make a choice' date=' a vote, a statement every time you open a bottle of craft or homebrewed beer instead of a can from a factory with an advertising budget that could swallow your local microbrewery whole.[/quote']

I'll drink (a homebrew) to that! [rightful]

+1 There are a few commercial breweries I do like, Coopers is one of them but when it comes to megaswill argh feel like vomiting.

Good Beer is Your Right

I once heard Alice Waters say in an interview that good food was not a privilege or a luxury, it\u2019s a right. That statement could be even more specific: good beer is not a privilege or a luxury, it\u2019s a right.

I don\u2019t think Ms. Waters would need much convincing that beer is food. It\u2019s as much a part of diet and cuisine as wine, and the origins of many classic styles point to this fact: Bock and Doppelbock as \u201cliquid bread\u201d in German monasteries, Saisons and Bieres de Garde as seasonal provisions in rural northern Europe, brown porter as the energy drink of manual laborers in Victorian England. And it\u2019s no surprise that so many homebrewers are also avid cooks, barbecuers, veggie gardeners, and harvesters of fish and game.

We as a society have had a bit of a toxic relationship with beer over the years, forgetting sometimes that it\u2019s a food and not just an agent of intoxication (remember the lessons of 1919). The major accomplishment of Prohibition \u2013 besides lining the coffers of organized crime \u2013 was crippling the American brewing industry, and the result was the bottlenecking of our native beer into the long-shadowed monolith of Lite Lager.

Beer, as Norman McClean wrote, \u201cused to come from your town or the next town over, and not St. Louis or Milwaukee.\u201d Thanks to the craft beer movement, this is largely the case once again \u2013 American breweries are at roughly the same number today as they were before the Volstead Act.

You make a choice, a vote, a statement every time you open a bottle of craft or homebrewed beer instead of a can from a factory with an advertising budget that could swallow your local microbrewery whole.

Protect your right to good beer! Drink beer brewed by an artisan \u2013 whether that artisan is in a brewery, or in a kitchen or basement \u2013 who knows and cares about his or her craft, and not a product fermented to specifications decided upon in a boardroom.

Slainte, Prosit, and Cheers!

Vote 1 Captain Yobbo,luv your work [happy] [happy]

Archived