Coopers Community

Consistency

King Ruddager

Just enjoying one of my honey ales and it's one of my "holy crap that's a lot of honey" ones, as opposed to some of the others which are more like "did I put some regular beers in the honey batch box" types. I get the same thing with my coffee stout - some are barely there but then there's others that taste like ... being awake. So, clearly two weeks in the fermenter is plenty of time of time for everything to separate back into layers of ... something. Parts?

Anyway, I don't have a secondary anything ... is it ok to stir a brew before bottling? I'm going to guess the answer is a big fat no because of disturbing that big yummy slime thing that likes to sit at the bottom. Ah well, hooray for mystery beers!!

I wouldn't and I don't, but provided everything is sanitised and you are careful not to splash/aerate the wort then you can stir it being careful not to disturb the trub, even though you will a bit anyway. If you do stir it then you would be best to let it sit for another day or two afterward and check for FG again. However, if all these ingredients were put in prior to FG then I really don't think the teaste will differ between bottles. I could be wrong though. [innocent]

is it ok to stir a brew before bottling? I'm going to guess the answer is a big fat no because of disturbing that big yummy slime thing that likes to sit at the bottom. Ah well, ****ay for mystery beers!!

With regards to the question of stirring before bottling...i had a drama last night when bottling an AIPA. i had a few pale ales and decided to bottle a batch. i would normally do this stone cold sober, so i have learned my lesson. Anyway, i primed and filled just over half the batch into stubbies and then realised that i had put a full teaspoon of sugar into the stubbies instead of half. so i uncapped the stubbies, shook them up and gently poured them back inthe FV. i worked out that there was approx the right amount of sugar in the FV so i gave it a stir, trying not to disturb the trub, which i inevitably did a bit. i guess i did a batch prime in the original Fv. i looked at them earlier and the ones in a PET are firming up, so secondary os happening, but they are not clear at all. do you think all will be well. this is a brew i have been looking forward to and it was in primary for 2 weeks. i would hate to have f**ked it up[crying]

With regards to the question of stirring before bottling...i had a drama last night when bottling an AIPA. i had a few pale ales and decided to bottle a batch. i would normally do this stone cold sober, so i have learned my lesson. Anyway, i primed and filled just over half the batch into stubbies and then realised that i had put a full teaspoon of sugar into the stubbies instead of half. so i uncapped the stubbies, shook them up and gently poured them back inthe FV. i worked out that there was approx the right amount of sugar in the FV so i gave it a stir, trying not to disturb the trub, which i inevitably did a bit. i guess i did a batch prime in the original Fv. i looked at them earlier and the ones in a PET are firming up, so secondary os happening, but they are not clear at all. do you think all will be well. this is a brew i have been looking forward to and it was in primary for 2 weeks. i would hate to have f**ked it up[crying]

Once they've carbed up stick them in a fridge for a couple of weeks, that should clear them right up.

Archived