Coopers Community

Level of carbonation

Jimmy78

Hi Guys

Tonight I tried my first beer that I brewed. It was the Lager that came with the kit!

Followed all the instructions, 2 carb drops per PET bottle been sitting for 2 weeks and I have opened 3 of them and they seem flat.... A little head to start and then it goes!

Any thoughts or suggestions? It tastes good just flat...

Jimmy...

They do, you can feel pressure inside them...

I just checked the temp of the cupboard, it's 20C now. Would it matter if it dropped down below over night?

If so, if I left it for a little while longer would that help?

I suppose my question is: Is there as much carbonation in home brew as in commercial brew...

Maybe give them a bit of a shake to get the yeast into suspension and try to ensure they stay over 18 degree's for another week or 2 if it dropped below 18 might be a chance the yeast went to sleep. With carbonation drops there is same if not more carbonation than commercial brews i find the drops make some of my beers way too fizzy so I will be going to bulk priming very soon so I have more control over the carbonation levels

I suppose my question is: Is there as much carbonation in home brew as in commercial brew...

YES!!! Usually far more if you are using the drops. If the lids are on tight and you're sure you put two drops in each then by the time they've gassed up they'll be really fizzy. Two weeks is just not enough time to be judging your beer mate. I know it sucks, but just be patient and they'll come good. [cool]

EDIT: Beat me to it Wayne [pinched]

I find for myself I keep my beers in a warm living area for 2 weeks and they are carbonated at that point however i only sample them to see how the brew turned out but the longer you leave them say 3 - 4 weeks the better they taste. I have batches 6 months+ that are awesome where as my pale ales usually are drinkable and really good at 2 weeks but a few months later they are even better.

TBH I don't like the Lager kit at all. They should put the Aussie Pale Ale instead but that's not up to me. My first and only Lager kit I had the same issues. All I can say is leave them for longer in the bottle and buy something better next time.

Well all I can say is that you guys know your stuff!!!! Genius perhaps?

Well as said, gave the bottles a bit of a shake, put them back for a couple of days and carbonation galore!

I also bottled my second batch last night, a Draught kit with just brewing sugar and my 3rd batch is about to go in over the next few days which will be a Real Ale with 1kg of Brew Enhancer 2!

Thanks everyone for your answers..

Well as said, gave the bottles a bit of a shake, put them back for a couple of days and carbonation galore!

I also bottled my second batch last night, a Draught kit with just brewing sugar and my 3rd batch is about to go in over the next few days which will be a Real Ale with 1kg of Brew Enhancer 2!

Glad to hear your problem got sorted mate[cool]

Yep, patience is the key.

Instead of using brewing sugar and the BE range, just get some LDM and a little Dextrose. It will allow you more options, cheaper and you can make a better beer. Sorry Coopers [innocent]

Good luck on your next brew.

Hi all - reading this post with interest, as I am also struggling with my first brew from a kit.

I have the same issue - no carbonation, but the beer tastes ok. I followed the kit instructions, but fear that I put the bottles in the fridge too early after bottling. The book of words said leave in a warm room for a week, then chill for a week, then drink.

Is this wrong - should I take them out of the fridge for a few more weeks to get the level of cabonation up ?

Pardon the 'blondeness' - just want to get it right. Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Welcome aboard Bruce!

Yeah, don't put them in the fridge until they are carbonated.

Take these ones out of the fridge, give them a gentle shake to re-suspend the yeast and store them for another week or two in a warm spot.

Generally it is 2 weeks minimum to carb. But it is only just there at that stage.

Glad to hear your problem got sorted mate[cool]

Wayne(Captain Yobbo)Ihave learnt alot reading your comments as well as all brewmasters on this blog,But could you get ride of those 70's clowns on your signiture.[ninja] [ninja] [ninja]

Welcome to the forum Bruce G1.

Currently I'm a kit brewer like yourself.

Just two bits of advice that will help you from what you've asked.. .

If you are brewing to 23L, only bottle to approx. 58 stubbies (29 longnecks). By sticking to that number, you will avoid excessive amounts of sediment in your bottled beer.

Creating a clearer beer from the transfer to bottle of primary fermentation makes knowing when secondary fermentation is complete, so much easier as a basic kit brewer.

I use carbonation drops for my secondary fermentation, & because my beer is clearer to start with when it's bottled, it's easier to see when the carbonation drop has completely dissolved.

Do follow the advice already given about "Cold Conditioning" your bottles in a fridge for a week (before drinking). It will give added benefits to the eventual drinking quality of your beer.

I hope that helps.

Beer.

Thanks Beerlust - will take that all on board. I only bottled 28 long necks and used carbonation drops, so I think once I leave them in a warmer place for a bit more time they should be ok - I have to learn patience.

The actual taste of the beer was ok - they were just flat, so there is some hope.

I didn't expect much from my first brew, but am encouraged by the support in the 'Beer World' - should certainly help with the next batches.

Cheers,

The book of words said leave in a warm room for a week' date=' then chill for a week, then drink.[/quote']

I could be wrong but I really doubt it said to leave in a warm place for only a week. Nevertheless, you really want to leave them >18C for at least 2 weeks as minimum. You can chill them at however long you want afterward. However, they will be considerably better in about 4-6 weeks.

BTW: welcome to the forum Bruce [joyful]

. . .You really want to leave them >18C for at least 2 weeks as minimum. You can chill them at however long you want afterward. However' date=' they will be considerably better in about 4-6 weeks.[/quote']

+1

Beer.

I could be wrong but I really doubt it said to leave in a warm place for only a week.

You're right - I was following the instructional video and I've just checked it again and it says after bottling "after a couple of weeks you can stick your beer in the fridge..."

My bad !!

Thanks for the advice again.

Archived