Coopers Community

Has anyone ever used an Ale yeast on a Pilsner recipe base before?

Hi guys.

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever used a true ale yeast on either a Pilsner recipe, or light lager recipe base & if so, what was the outcome?

Did it end up being something good, or something you wish you hadn't done?

Beer.

I haven't yet, but I wouldn't mind making up a light recipe with some Hallertau or Hersbrucker (I've got about 300g of it) and using US-05 in it just to see what it comes out like. I have read or heard somewhere that US-05 is a good yeast for making "fake lagers" i.e. they taste like lager but fermented at ale temps with ale yeast and are actually ales.

Hiya Otto.

Yeah I'm thinking of doing the same this weekend, using US-05 too. I'm gonna hit it with about 45-50gms of Nelson Sauvin in 2 stages of the cook & then dry hop another 15-20gms.

I got hold of a good secondhand fridge perfect for brewing in earlier today & going to buy a temp controller & the fermentables tomorrow. Who knows, I might even do a little side-by-side experiment & brew the same fermentables, but one @ 18\xb0C with the US-05 yeast, & the other @ approx. 12\xb0C with a true pilsner/lager yeast, maybe the SAFLager S-23 + kit yeast.

I for one would certainly be interested in the different outcomes.

Beer.

Yes, ale yeast can do an excellent job on lager/pilsener brews.

If you are striving for "lager like" characteristics, minimal fermentation bi-products from the yeast, run the ferment temp at the low end of the recommended range (even a couple of degrrees lower, if you have good temp control)[biggrin]

US-05 is a good choice and so is the humble Coopers Ale yeast, that comes with many of the kits [whistling

I opened my first bottle of a pilsner type beer using ale yeast on the weekend. It is nice, I guess a kind of crisper beer than a full strength ale and even though there was a small amount of hops in there they really came through.

Recipe was:

"The Pretender"

1 can of Coopers Pilsner

1kg Pilsen dry malt

250g carapils

250g dextrose

B-Sazz: 10g @ 10mins, 20g @ 5mins & 12g @ 0mins.

US-04 yeast

5.1% IBU-27.1 EBC-5.3

Yes' date=' ale yeast can do an excellent job on lager/pilsener brews.[/quote']

I am glad to hear that. [joyful]

US-05 is a good choice and so is the humble Coopers Ale yeast' date=' that comes with many of the kits[/quote']

I would like to use Coopers dried yeasts more, but to the best of my knowledge they are not available for individual sale. As I am now primarily brewing at sub 20\xb0C temperatures, the 7gms of supplied kit yeast in most cases is not quite enough per brew given all the information & conjecture out there about required pitch rates etc.

I guess I'll have a crack at re-cultivating the commercial yeast at some point. [whistling

Beer.

US-05 is a good choice and so is the humble Coopers Ale yeast' date=' that comes with many of the kits [whistling [/quote']

Id have to agree PB2, however there just doesnt seem to be enough in a packet of the Coopers Yeast to suit the gravities Im generally fermenting these days...

[roll]

I live in the home state of Coopers & most of the brew shops that I frequent don't even carry the Coopers product lines, let alone their yeast(s). I had to actually phone Coopers just to find a retail outlet that actually stocks their "Thomas Coopers" range of kit tins.

The brew shops seem to be 'digging their heels in' in an attempt to make themselves a point of difference in competition against the supermarkets & department stores who stock the Coopers brands.

I understand where they are coming from. It's still a shame though.

Beer.

Gee, I have had a pretty good look at SA online HBS and stuffed if I can see any that sell Coopers Dried Yeast packs.

I find this quite unusual as SA has a million shops more than Slowbart yet I can find it pretty easy here.

If you want it that bad looks like you are going to have to buy it in. Personally if you are going to the trouble to do this then I would just buy another yeast. However, if you really persist in wanting the coopers yeast then why don't you just wash and store it to reuse?... then you always have it when you want

Archived