Coopers Community

Coopers IPA - Dry Hop?

MarkB38

Now that my fermentation is well underway, I was wondering whether I should dry hopping with 1/2 oz. of Cascade, in addition to the 1/2 oz. added in a hop tea at the start? Would the 1/2 oz. from the hop tea be enough for a nice flavor, or should I add another 1/2 oz. after fermentation stops? Thanks.

Coopers IPA Kit

1kg Coopers DME

500g Coopers Dextrose

Hop tea with 1/2 oz Cascade pellets

Filled to 23L

Yeast from kit

Pitched at 24c

I'm sure you'll end up with a lovely drop either way (although you'd do well to get the temperature down to 20 degrees), but I'd probably do it if I were you. Dry hopping enhances the aroma of the beer, which of course affects your taste experience. Oh, and don't wait for the fermentation to stop, just throw in the hops after the krausen has subsided.

if it's any help at all, I have a IIPA in currently, It's had 60g dry hops thus far and Im going to rack it tmoz onto another 20-30g and cold condition it for a week... I think (without checking notes) the brew all up has had about 350g Hops thus far [love]

7.8% IIPA monster from my Hop'Oc'Olypse range [lol]

hopocolypse.jpg

in my opinion any APA, AIPA or IIPA can do with multiple dry hop additions.. these beers are supposed to have a distinct hop presence and aroma.. the later the addition the more the up front hop aroma you get.

[love] [love] Love this style of beer [ninja]

I need to be thinking metric [lol] ! One ounce is 28.4g, so I used 14.2g in the hop tea.

My OG was 1043 (which was close to the estimate from beercalculus). I pitched the yeast 72 hours ago. It was really going crazy Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. Most of the foam has subsided, but I still see the little fellows moving around, though at a slower rate (like the morning after a lot of beers!).

I guess adding another 14g in a dry hopping in a sanitized muslin bag couldn't hurt?

And should I be sure to suspend the bag midway (sanitized marbles, string, etc.) to be sure there is an even distribution?

(I just use the Coopers DIY fv, no secondary, bottling directly from it).

Thanks for answering these elementary questions!

(without checking notes) the brew all up has had about 350g Hops thus far [love]

Im afraid Ive told some pork pies here... not quite up to what I thought.. Hops thus far.

15 Magnum @ 40 min

35 Centennial @ 10 min

50 Cascade @ 5

40 Amarillo @ 0 (WP)

15 Galaxy @ 0 (WP)

50 Cascade @ 0 (WP)

15 Cascade DH @ 1030

15 Amarillo DH @ 1030

10 Citra DH @ 1020

15 Cascade DH @ 1020

15 Amarillo DH @ 1020

Still to go

10 Amarillo

10 Centennial

10 Citra (20?)

a little shy of the 350g I quoted earlier... sorry. [lol]

will try to do better next time [roll]

Yob

Damn! That's about 45gms of hops short of your initial estimates!

For those not too sure what we are talking about, this means the end product will taste something like a watered down whey. [whistling

Beer.

(without checking notes) the brew all up has had about 350g Hops thus far [love]

Im afraid Ive told some pork pies here... not quite up to what I thought.. Hops thus far.

15 Magnum @ 40 min

35 Centennial @ 10 min

50 Cascade @ 5

40 Amarillo @ 0 (WP)

15 Galaxy @ 0 (WP)

50 Cascade @ 0 (WP)

15 Cascade DH @ 1030

15 Amarillo DH @ 1030

10 Citra DH @ 1020

15 Cascade DH @ 1020

15 Amarillo DH @ 1020

Still to go

10 Amarillo

10 Centennial

10 Citra (20?)

a little shy of the 350g I quoted earlier... sorry. [lol]

will try to do better next time [roll]

Yob

Quite a nice selection of hops Would make for a good beer to age

Minor disaster when dry hopping. Since I had small muslin bags, I decided to split the 14g across the two small bags, with about 5 glass marbles (the kind you use in flower vases). Sanitized and boiled the bags, marbles and string, added the hops, and hung in the fv. After an hour, the bags started to float, so 5 marbles wasn't enough. I decided to remove to a sanitized plate, and add 6 more sanitized marbles to each. When I put them back in the fv, I dropped a sanitized paper clip (used to hold the string to the fv). It fell to the bottom of the trub. Worried about the effect of the metal on the beer (they aren't stainless), I had to get it out with a sanitized plastic spoon. I really stirred up the trub.

I got it out eventually. Everything was pretty well sanitized, so I think I'm OK there. But do you think stirring up that trub is a problem, or should it all settle down again? I won't be doing anything for at least a week to 10 days. Thanks.

Minor disaster when dry hopping. Since I had small muslin bags, I decided to split the 14g across the two small bags, with about 5 glass marbles (the kind you use in flower vases). Sanitized and boiled the bags, marbles and string, added the hops, and hung in the fv. After an hour, the bags started to float, so 5 marbles wasn't enough. I decided to remove to a sanitized plate, and add 6 more sanitized marbles to each. When I put them back in the fv, I dropped a sanitized paper clip (used to hold the string to the fv). It fell to the bottom of the trub. Worried about the effect of the metal on the beer (they aren't stainless), I had to get it out with a sanitized plastic spoon. I really stirred up the trub.

I got it out eventually. Everything was pretty well sanitized, so I think I'm OK there. But do you think stirring up that trub is a problem, or should it all settle down again? I won't be doing anything for at least a week to 10 days. Thanks.

and you didnt find that a pain in the ass?

Yes it will settle if you give it time / cold condition it..

1 more reason for bulk priming, saves all that fluffing about with marbles, bags, cloth etc...

it almost does itself, and while its racking you can be sanitising the bottles or a myriad of other tasks that occur on bottling day.

Each to their own

Yes, I did find it a pain, but I just thought I'd try. It wouldn't have been much of a hassle if those bags didn't float (never thought that 5 marbles wouldn't have been enough!). Right now I'm not bulk priming, I bottle directly from the fv, and use the pellets in each bottle. Maybe I need to consider bulk priming.

I got given a second FV however I want to ramp up my beer production so I want both FV's going at the same time however I seen those as Muddy Calls them FV's from bunnings the (water containers) for $15 and will use that as my bulk priming vessel so if I dry hop etc won't matter plus I am sick of buying carb drops plus I want a little less fizz in my beers so bulk priming is the answer for me.

I got into this quite by accident, when my brother gave me a Coppers DIY kit for my birthday. Never thought of making beer before that, now I'm on my 5th batch, with 5 more kits on the shelf.

I'm always ready to brew my next batch after I've pitched the yeast on the current batch! I'm going to need to get myself another FV. I like the Coppers FV, but I don't want to shell out US$130 for a kit just to get the FV (which they sold it separately).

Eventually, I need to be heading where you are (bulk priming, etc.).

Archived