Coopers Community

Brew seems only half way through after 6 days - worry?

PaulK9

Hi,

I just mixed up a standard Coopers Lager. Today is the 6th day. OG was 1.036 and gravity reading today is 1.018. I was expecting at least a 1.010 reading.

Do i need to worry or just let it go longer?

If you used the Lager kit and BE1 then you should be looking at 1.009 - 1.01. It should be close to being done even at temps as low as 16'C. I would make sure that you have tipped out the first sample drawn from the FV and that you degass the second sample. The CO2 bubbles or sediment will play havoc with the Hydrometer.

When I use a OS can with a 3lb bag of plain DME & a couple ounces of hops,it takes on average 12-14 days to hit FG. Maybe a few more days sometimes. The yeast have their own schedule that doesn't coinside with ours. 6 days is a bit soon anyway. Mine take about 3 weeks or so to hit FG & settle out clear or slightly misty. While it's settling (3-7 days),it's also cleaning up by products of fermentation that get eaten by the yeaast when the sugars are gone,cleaning up the beers flavor.

Hi Guys

I have the same issue. I had followed the advice of some of the guys in here and I have left it in the FV for an extra week to clear up and ensure that it has finished fermenting.

Lager with 1kg of BE1. SG 1.036 - FV Day 12 is 1.014 and has been for 4 days.

It definitely has cleared up and is not so cloudy, I will be bottling it this weekend. It tastes quite good as well! It will give a final alcohol content of about 3.5% after secondary fermentation as per the equation supplied. Mid Strength beer.

Thanks for the replies guys. The gravity has dropped to 1013 now so I guess its ready for the bottle. But I am of camping (bad timing!)so I guess another 5 days won't hurt from what I am reading in the previous posts.

I did brew this one with BE1, 23 litres etc.

Thanks Again.

Well that's good news knowing the extra time does more good than harm. I'ma stickler for following instructions. Not knowing all the ins and outs is what had me worried I guess. Now I won't have to rush to bottle on the 6th day any more. Might explain why my European Lager came out quite bad. Waiting 3 months to try my European batch just to find out that it was rubbish was very disappointing. The lager in question on this post has now dropped to 1011. Seems a little merkier than last week but smells/tastes fine.

The Euro Lager should have taken about 2-3 weeks to ferment as it uses a true lager yeast. I have mentioned somewhere in another thread that my current 2 brews have been in the fermenter now for about 6 weeks. I've been too lazy to keg them but hopefully will tomorrow.

Archived