Coopers Community

contradictory evidence

DavidH45

I have had an IPA (from kit) fermenting for 8 days (~18 degrees) and just took my first SG. OG was 1048, now after 8 days im getting a reading of 1005. first of all... im surprised with achieving such a low SG after only 8 days. Biggest surprise to me though is that the layer of dead yeast at the bottom of the fermenter is only half as big as that of the last brew even though 500g more fermentables (and a little more yeast) went into this one?

Basically (to me) it seems like some things are telling me its fermenting well...and others telling me it isnt.

(also, I tasted it... not sweet)

Advice/info?

Lots of things affect the amount of trub in the FV, the amount of cold break, the type of yeast used etc. Don't use the amount of trub as a sole indicator of fermentation.

Trust your hydrometer. If you get an OG of 1048 and an SG of 1005 then this means it has definitely fermented.

It sounds fine. Leave it a few more days and then bottle. If you can, crash chill it for a few days too to clear it up and get more yeast out of suspension.

I recently had a brew go from 1052 on the Sunday when I pitched (in the evening) to 1010 by Wednesday at 7am..

2.5 days for 42 points @ 17'c [ninja]

Also agree with Hairy. The Hydrometer is King, all other indicators are just that, a non-conclusive indicator, many of which may be false ie: airlock bubbles etc

I do it at 2-3 degrees for around 4 days. Although I was too busy to bottle my last batch and had it chilling for 2.5 weeks [innocent]

If you can get it below 5 degrees that would be good. You can do it at higher temps than that but it will take much longer.

Also, it isn't that important to do it. It won't affect the flavour of the beer, just the clarity. And the beer will continue to clear in the bottles when you leave them in the fridge for a while.

I do it because I have the facility to do it and I only bottle on weekends. This means that I can (generally) ferment at normal temps for 1.5 weeks and then chill for 3-4 days before bottling. But sometimes I am busy (or lazy) and it stays chilling for another week.

Archived