Coopers Community

Another newbie seeking enlightenment...

ChrisF9

First post so be gentle [biggrin]

My first intro to brewing was pop teaching dad 25 years ago, I distinctly remember the first batch they made with the yeast being pitched into wort that must have been 60-70 degrees hot. I think it took two weeks for the yeast to recover and the airlock to start bubbling (dad never learnt how to use the hydrometer). I\u2019m a novice brewer, having got my kit for xmas last year, I\u2019ve been lurking on this forum since then, quietly soaking up the knowledge and brewing at home but now I have a few questions I was hoping to get some help with.

Does anyone know why the Coopers kit comes with the lager can? You get the kit and are all excited with your first batch, then you have to wait months for it to condition in the bottle, why doesn\u2019t it come with a can that has a quick turn-around? Or is it a clever marketing ploy to get us racing out and buying more cans and PET bottles? ;)

There was a thread earlier this year that discussed yeast viability, PB2 was going to leave some sachets of kits yeast stored in the fridge, freezer, on his desk and I think on a window-sill in full sun for three months then check the viability of the yeast. I don\u2019t recall a result being posted and I\u2019ve since searched for it, anyone know how this went?

I\u2019ve made the transition from standard can recipes to recipes with hops, albeit with baby steps and going with the Coopers Recipe of the month mail order kits. [love] MMM yum, so far so good! The Celebration Ale recipe calls for the hops to be added after a\u2019 few days\u2019 of fermentation, I\u2019ve just added mine after 72 hours. how critical is the timing of adding the hops? Both in context of adding it during the fermentation cycle (OG was 1.048, SG when I added the hops was 1.025) and how long in the fermenter after activity has stopped? I\u2019m a patient man and have already learnt to leave each brew in the fermenter for at least a week after the SG stabilises, but don\u2019t know how this works in context of adding hops mid-fermentation.

And last but not least, an hour after adding the hops (loosely secured in a chux cloth) I\u2019ve got a delicious looking foamy head that wasn\u2019t there before, I\u2019m not worried about it, but I\u2019m perplexed as to what process has occurred for this to happen, any ideas?

Welcome to the forum Chris!

The lager that comes with the DIY kit is the Original Series Lager that includes an ale yeast. It has the malt profile of a lager but because you brew it with an ale yeast it is actually an ale.

It will also condition quicker than a lager which takes a few months. You should be able to start drinking the stock standard OS Lager after a few weeks.

I don't recall PB2 reporting on the results of his test (that probably means he didn't do it).

As for dry hopping, it doesn't really matter when you do it as long as the hops are in there for a few days. Some people dry hop at the start rather than waiting a few days. Since you dry hopped after 3 days and kept it in the FV for another 1.5 weeks it will be fine.

With regard to your final question, when you throw hops in toward the end, the break up and provide millions of fresh nuculation points and also release a tiny bit of o2 that they contain, this kind of re-activates the yeast a little as they use that o2 up. A good way to re-activate a stalled ferment.

Yob

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers, they filled in the gaps nicely. With all the helpful advice given daily I can probably go another 6 months without asking another question [biggrin]

We just need PB2 to dig out those sachets, it would be interesting to see how each fared.

Chris

I'm sure Yob has many more uses for hops that he hasn't passed on yet. If any particular types are a female aphrodisiac I am paticularly interested [lol]

Magnum, centennial, Citra, Amarillo and Galaxy, Panties on the floor or your money back. [lol]

[w00t]

I'm sure Yob has many more uses for hops that he hasn't passed on yet. If any particular types are a female aphrodisiac I am paticularly interested [lol]

Magnum, centennial, Citra, Amarillo and Galaxy, Panties on the floor or your money back. [lol]

[w00t]

You'll have my panties on the floor [love] [unsure]

[w00t]

You'll have my panties on the floor [love] [unsure]

You wear panties?? [tongue] [sick] [unsure]

I take no responsibility for this thread once my questions were answered' date=' a guy that calls himself Hairy and wears panties... [unsure']

Good call!!! [biggrin]

Lucky he knows a thing or two about making beer though..[happy]

Maybe I do [innocent]

And a lot of people say I look quite fetching in panties. They all happen to be sight impaired though [biggrin]

Photo's please.. there are already 'mental images' of other forum users in budgie smugglers hosting pool parties..

This place is starting to get funky...

and I think I Like it [lol] (in purely "your'e the weirdo" kinda way of course [bandit]

Archived