Coopers Community

Muddy !

BohemianMohican

Hi Muddy (and anyone else reading)

I just tried to email you via your profile page as I saw you were online but the server had an error trying to send my email . And I see you've logged off now , hence this new thread .

Just wanted some closure on a post from AdamH in Real Life Otto's thread regarding the Euro Lager kit trend .

After I mentioned my brew sat in the fermenter for 10 days before the airlock stopped bubbling AdamH commented he'd leave it to you to answer but I never got a response from you .

Is it something to do with relying on consecutive FG readings instead of waiting for the airlock to stop bubbling ?

Right, I found the thread (don't usually read lager threads as they make me sleepy [innocent] )

Again, welcome to the forums BM

I steeped 250g of Brewers Choice pre cracked carapils/lager grain in 6/7 ltrs of water til boiling .....let it roll for another 20 min or so....

Don't boil your grains - you'll get tannins and other unwanted flavours out. Steep them at about 70 degrees or below, and not for excessive amounts of time.

And so it sat in the fermenter for about 10 days before it stopped bubbling ....

Airlock? If so, I will leave that answer for Muddy..

This was my cue to jump in with a "IGNORE THE BLOODY AIRLOCK, OR EVEN BETTER GET RID OF IT ALTOGETHER" rant [lol]

Airlocks are useless! Your hydrometer will tell you what is happening fermentation wise. Airlocks can bubble when fermentation is complete and they can be dead silent at the height of fermentation.

[lol] Yeah, I just put that toucan stout recipe down on Sunday, the airlock hasn't done a bloody thing, and that's a pretty volcanic ferment, but I know it's working because my lid is see through. So is the fermenter sort of.. you can see all the krausen activity through the sides and top. Having said that, obviously a lager is a lot less volcanic and obvious. Best to use the hydrometer to check if any brew is finished though!

You know, Muddy. I think it's pretty cool that you have the reputation as a brewing guru. People just call out to you hoping that you will guide them to the ever elusive "best beer on earth".[cool]

I wonder if they will ever call out to me to solve lifes biggest quests!?[sideways]

EDIT: Wait a minute! My two boys, 4 and 2 years are for ever calling "DAD!" I am forever trying to solve lifes great problems for them.[happy]

Archived