Coopers Community

Which kind of Coopers beer is this ?

shanek7

I recently brewed a coopers draught beer and I assumed it was an ale beer, but then as I looked more into it I heard some people say that it is actually a lager beer. Ill show you which can I bought in the website below, its the can with the yellow lid on it.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/catalog/draught_1764_general.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/Coopers-Draught-p2275.htm&h=250&w=250&sz=54&tbnid=oj1U74t2RqQ6AM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=90&zoom=1&usg=__L9HDZIeBqOrYnDuin7aqIIUUJfw=&docid=-v0NPPmte3F0HM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vrYtULnLNKPaywG984D4Ag&ved=0CH0Q9QEwCw&dur=352

So I already wrote to coopers by email and they told me that this can comes with an ale yeast, but they didnt clarify whether that officially makes this an ale beer. Or if its an ale yeast with lager ingridients , which Iv heard is called a steam style beer.

Another confusing thing about this is if you go to the coopers website and look at their listing for draught beer they list it under a lager style. This website will take you to the page im talking about. So I dont get it, did i brew a lager or an ale ?!

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/lager/fresh-draught

Hey Shane, you brewed an ale.

The recipe in your link is for the Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught and not the Original Series Draught in the first link you posted.

Regardless of which kit you used, it is the yeast that determines whether it is an ale or a lager.

Ale Yeast = Ale Beer

Lager Yeast = Lager Beer

Ale yeasts tend to be fermented at warmer temperatures (ie. above 16 degrees) whilst lager yeasts tend to be fermented at cooler temps (ie. 9-15 degrees).

Brewing with lager yeast at warmer temperatures will make what is referred to as a Steam Beer.

So the ingredients in the kit don't determine whether it is an ale or a lager. Usually a lager will be made from light malts such as Pilsener malt. However you can make an ale with Pilsener malt in the same way you can make a lager using the slightly darker ale malt.

It can be a little confusing so the best thing you can do is do some research.

"How to Brew" by John Palmer is an excellent book which will tell you pretty much everything you need to know to make beer.

Below is a link to the online version (which is an older version):

How to Brew

The real difference between Ale and Lager is the yeast - no matter what the hopped malt extract (aka the can you used) contains in the ingredients.

Ale yeast ferments at the top, and ideal temp is 18-21 degrees.

Lager yeast ferments at the bottom, and ideal temp is 12-15 degrees.

There are some variations on the temps depending on what characteristics are wanted but that's the two types of beer in a nutshell.

The Draught can comes with a Ale yeast (as per here), and the instructions you linked to say to brew at 20 degrees or less.

If you got the draught kit and purchased and used a Lager yeast, then it would be a true Lager beer.

A person starting up as a homebrewer would not generally have the ability to brew lager straight away, especially in Australia. But, the highest selling beers in Australia are Lagers, that may not necessarily taste any good, so brewing these at Ale temps is going to make something similar to those I guess.

Lager yeast at correct temps = Lager

Ale Yeast at appropriate temps = Ale

Lager Yeast at Ale temps = Steam

[bandit]

So what do you get if you ferment an ale yeast at lagers cooler temperatures ?!

[bandit]

The yeast 'go to sleep' and drop to the bottom of the FV. They won't ferment the beer.

Hence:

sleeping yeast in malty water

[bandit]

You get Wort.

Archived