Coopers Community

coopers mexican cerveza 1st time.

stuartc13

Hey guys its my first time brewing coopers Mexican cerveza in my home brew DIY kit. iv got a OG of 1028 and im on my 6th day of fermentation and the Hydrometer reads 1000.

i haven't brewed in about 4 months and for some reason im not sure if it sounds right.

iv used:

Brew enhancer 2 1kg

Coopers Mexican cerveza

23 liters of water

Also the temp has ranged from between 20 and 25

iv been trying to keep it warm with a blanket and a few 1.25 liter bottles around the barrel to keep it above 21.

any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated on whether this all sounds right.

Kind regards.

Stuart [cool]

Well you're probably better off fermenting it around 18\xb0C rather than over 21. I know the instructions say that but it really produces a much better beer if it's fermented lower. It's too late on this brew but something to keep in mind for future brews. Those gravity readings sound too low to me, especially using BE2, you should have had an OG around 1039. It contains 25% maltodextrin which doesn't ferment at all, my spreadsheet predicts a FG of 1011. Have you tested your hydrometer in water at 20\xb0C? It should read 1000 in that.

Cheers,

Kelsey

the brew was at 18 degrees when i woke up after the first 24 hours and got worried on the fact that it says keep it above 21 degrees in the instructions, but i will keep it in mind for my next brew, iv given it a taste test and it tastes great but i will wait and make sure the readings stay steady before bottling. and will post more letting you all know how this batch goes. if people are interested. but the batch has been kept at above 21 degrees(after first 24 hours)and max 25 till FG but will post FG when i have it.

Thank you all for your comments and help in further brewing.

Kind regards

Stuart.

check youy hydrometer. It should read 1.000 in water at 20C as far as I know.

My last Mexican Cerveza was the same ingredients

og: 1.038

fg: 1.010

It should be about ready, but best to leave it for a second week to clean up

Im yet to check the hydrometer but i looked at the holder for it and the tube looks a bit bent? i would say that would also cause it to give it a massive in-accurate reading. Bottled today after brewing for 7 days last 2 days had a steady reading of 1000 on my hydrometer. will let you know on the outcome in 2 weeks as well if my hydrometer was out in 20 degree water.

Thank you for all your help as im new to brewing and only 19 i really appreciate all the help i can get.

It'll probably be fine, but you can't be sure it was finished fermenting if your hydrometer is faulty, so make sure to have the bottles somewhere that the beer/bottle won't do damage in case any decide to pop.

Hopefully it will be all good [happy]

Im yet to check the hydrometer but i looked at the holder for it and the tube looks a bit bent? i would say that would also cause it to give it a massive in-accurate reading. Bottled today after brewing for 7 days last 2 days had a steady reading of 1000 on my hydrometer. will let you know on the outcome in 2 weeks as well if my hydrometer was out in 20 degree water.

Thank you for all your help as im new to brewing and only 19 i really appreciate all the help i can get.

Do as previously suggested to test the hydrometer. The tube being bent won't make a difference unless your hydrometer is touching it.

Experiment: grab a bucket of water and hold it on an angle (like a bent tube) I bet the water is still parallel to the ground. Your tube may be bent but the water isn't. [pinched]

Archived