Coopers Community

English Stout yeast help

Stoobrew

Can I use Coopers English ale Yeast as the secondary yeast for the Coopers Recipie for English Stout? Will it work and not taste like old socks?

I'm dropping an English Stout using the TCS Irish Stout and I need more yeast(as recipies says use two) so being a cheater like I am I was thinking of using the Coopers english ale yeast(since I have a couple laying around) and the TCS Irish kit yeast...since I cant get any other English yeast today.

Also is someone going to update the codes for the Yeasts...or has everyone learnt since 2007 to write on the yeast pack what it came out of(which of course I havnt done...oops)?

I have no idea...I'm pretty sure they use slightly different yeasts in the international kits to the standard ones...and some of the TCS are different again? That is the impression I had...I could be wrong def wouldnt be the first time!

Actually some of the TC series is Coopers ale/lager hybrid yeast, the Irish Stout one is just ale yeast. I've always used the kit yeasts unless I am brewing extract recipes without a kit. Then I usually use US-05 American ale or S-04 English ale, depending on the recipe. I'm gonna try some Windsor and Nottingham at some stage too, but always have had good results!

Coopers yeast is usually fine for your bread and butter brews but if your making a brew over 1.040 gravity at 20l than 7g of yeast just doesn't cut it in my opinion.

They do make great single brew yeast nutrient additions though

After a while you begin to collect the kit yeast. I have a whole tray in the fridge full of it. It never hurts to throw a second packet in. Yob has a good idea and throws a packet of cooper's yeast in at 1 min of boil as a nutrient. I don't know if this works a damn but it's worth a try.[unsure] [cool]

After a while you begin to collect the kit yeast. I have a whole tray in the fridge full of it. It never hurts to throw a second packet in. Yob has a good idea and throws a packet of cooper's yeast in at 1 min of boil as a nutrient. I don't know if this works a damn but it's worth a try.[unsure] [cool]

I also have a fridge tray full of kit yeast.

I just brewed a higher gravity IPA so I used a packet of US-05 and half a packet of kit yeast. I then threw one and a half packets of kit yeast in the boil.

I don't know if it made any difference but I wouldn't get through all the kit yeast otherwise.

Hey Stoo,

I've kinda' been waiting for an update on that SAUNDERS thread[bandit] [biggrin] [innocent] . How is that brew coming along?[devil]

Hey mate. It was actually finished a while back(I thought I would let that one die people were getting upset) [bandit]. The english came out really well. The last two saunders EB were shared with a lovely English lass and she thought it was great beer(her only complaint was it had to much head and we had to wait a minute whilst pooring)!

The Aussie IPA I made with it also was freaking amazing(easily my best beer yet)...everyone was fighting for it hehehe. I've actually just dropped another Aussie IPA(and got some T-58 this time too) with the saunders malt. I honestly cant tell the difference between that malt and coopers amber...same colour same taste. I'm finding its a good thing to use when you dont want to add a full 1.5kg of liquid malt [devil] I made another EB with coopers malt and it was nearly identical in taste as in...exatcly the same,so I dont see a problem with substituting and using 500g light dry and 1kg of saunders(as I have found the flavour profile is near identical)! I would recommend it if you cant get to the LHBS and need some liquid malt, it works a treat [rightful]

*I havnt actually dropped this TC Irish Stout yet...so I am thinking because Coopers recommend it for the English Stout recipe I am going to use two coopers Ale yeasts, sounds like it should be fine

Archived