Coopers Community

pitched ale yeast at 36deg!!!!!!!

miket6

Hi guys.I decided to make a coopers sparkling ale that i had been planning and decided to make it one hour before going to my brothers for a bbq. I prepared everything. Steeped 250g of crystal before and mixed up my ingrediants.At 6 the phone rang and I HAD to get in the car with the wife and leave. I measured my wort and it was close to 35 deg. I had no choice but to pitch my HYDRATED packet yeast into 23l.When I got home a few hours later I checked my wort and the temp had dropped back down to 25 ish. So just to be sure I pitched a USsafale05 thinking that a few hundred million of the packet yeast cells would have died, and also realized i forgot to add my LDM!...I gotta slow down. I have a few questions-:

.Would the origanal packet yeast have been slaughted at 35deg?

.Would adding the safale have an adverse effect on the brew?

.Is it too late to add the ldm or was the addition of the crystal enough to compensate for the non addition?

1 Kit Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Coopers Light Malt liquid Extract

250g Crystal steeped for 30 min at 60deg

15g Amarillo boiled for ten

will dry hop 15 g Amarillo secondary ferment

Packet yeast (and also USsafeale05!!!!!!!!!!)

You should be ok, it's not ideal, but ale yeast can ferment as high as 40\xb0C. The good thing is it got down within a few hours, if you can get it down lower to around 18 it would be better. I actually put on a Euro Lager the other day and pitched it at 30 ish [sick] but within 12 hours it was down around 13-15, in 24 hours it woulda been around 10-11. I'm not sure about adding malt after pitching, there's probably no issue with it, I've just never tried it. The crystal addition though won't equal however much LDM goes in to it, it's more for flavour.

As for the yeast.. it's probably an overpitch but I doubt it would have too bad of an effect on it.

Cheers,

Kelsey

25\xb0 is still way to high mate.

You could add the LME just make sure everything is sanitised. I would consider watering it down a touch with boiled water to help it disolve into the wort and gently swirl or stir it in.

I personally would be considering cutting my losses and starting again, as harsh as that may seem

hi Graham, i got the temp down to 18 o/n and i have got my heater set to that temp constant now so it only sat at 36 for about 5 hours..I probably wont pitch the malt. Do you think the extra yeast will affect the brew?

Do you think the extra yeast will affect the brew?

Its a hell of an overpitch for the amount of sugars and it will have an affect on the brew, whether that affect creates an undesireable flavor Im not sure, though I would very much doubt it.

I have recently 'blended' two beers together due to massively overdoing some hops, I basically made another wort unhopped and syphoned into the fermenting brew, that beer Im currently drinking and its fantastic. So adding more fermentables is prefectly feasable if you have decided to keep this brew alive, it will also give your yeast more sugars to chew on.

I deciphered your post wrong I think, LordEoins right if you have both the kit and the Coopers liquid malt can then dont bother trying to add anything else.

I thought you were saying that you forgot to add the plain liquid malt [pinched]

dme, lme, ldme, ldm all start looking the freaking same to me. [alien]

I measured my wort and it was close to 35 deg. I had no choice but to pitch my HYDRATED packet yeast into 23l.

What temp was the rehydrated Yeast at? Its likely that they suffered a fair thermal shock and may not be in the best of health.. how badly is hard to estimate.

bad yeast daddy [crying]

Hi yob..the yeast was re hydrated at approx 25ish, but also remembering that i also pitched USsafale05 4-5 hours later at around 25deg hoping to compensate for the killed packet yeast. ( remember I am a novice brewer) and to answer eoin the og was 1.052. I checked the fermenter tonight and all seem ok fingers crossed. i have smelt the contents of the airlock and it still seems to smell ok. I guess all I can do is wait. All i gotta do now is start a new extract/ grain brew with some crystal and carapils that i have bought over the weekend....any ideas fellas??????

..ive got some amarillo' date='willamete,galaxy. I can get my hands on pretty much any kit. I love Irish reds but have brewed 2 with limited success..even roasting my own barley??[/quote']

all of them into a Coopers Pale Ale + 1kg DME [love]

10g each at 10 mins... dry hop amarillo and galaxy...

serious drool...

...cough... yeast when at pitching temps... [lol]

What can also help is 10lt of cooled water, either in a container in the fridge or the FV in (if you have one) the fermenting fridge.

mate our water here is TERRIBLE I just forked out 100 bucks for a filter because our teeth were losing its enamel....would you add any carapils for body or crystal to that recepie im doing tomorrow??

Carapils helps with body and head retention but it pretty much has no colour or flavour.

I tend to only use it in lagers or pilseners but I have used it in light pale ales.

With ales I prefer to use crystal and/or victory. If I am making a lighter style ale then I use pale crystal or Caramalt.

Crystal also helps with body & head retention but also has a nice caramel flavour.

Of course this is my opinion only and you can do what you like. Experiment and see what works for you.

Archived