Coopers Community

It's Hawaiian Month at Muddy's Brewery

Muddy Waters

In honour of my first foray into using Magnum as my primary bittering hop I hvae decided to declare August "Hawaiian Month".

First up we have my "Island Hopper Ale", a cascade driven Pale Ale which all the Haoles are hollerin' for. Engineered to be along the lines of a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Next, I will be teaming magnum with the proven team of amarillo and centennial in my newly formulated "Oh...My...God! Amber Ale" - This one's for you Higgins [cool] .

The rest are still on the drawing board but I reckon I'll have to fit Spam in to the mix somehow [sick]

Anyway, Happy Hawaiian Month one and all [biggrin]

islandhopper.jpg

(Sorry for the very dodgy photoshopping but I only had 5 mins)

Hey Muddy,

I started my experiments using Magnum hops in a few brews as of late. Two versions of the same theme. Of course it happens to be attempts of the Seirra Nevada PA. I'd like like to hear a little more about your plans for this one (if you don't mind). I know you don't give out trade secrets but i wouldn't mind comparing notes.

The jury is still out on my attempts. Definitly some hops tweeking in future attempts.

I have a Seirra Nevada Torpedo IPA clone in the works which features Magnum (hops, not P.I.[sideways])

phew... i thought you were going to try pineapple in your brew..

I hate pineapple added to my (cooked) food let alone in my beer! [sick]

Just be careful Muddy. If you brew Hawaiian themed beers they are sure to be volcanic

Groan\u2026[sideways]

Have you made a lei out of hop flowers Muddy?

No but I am wearing a grass hula skirt all month [bandit]

check this guy out Muddy' date=' 1 pound of Magnum for $10 [/quote']

Thanks Yob, I have seen the website before but had lost the link. I\u2019ll definately use them next time [cool]

I started my experiments using Magnum hops in a few brews as of late. Two versions of the same theme. Of course it happens to be attempts of the Seirra Nevada PA. I'd like like to hear a little more about your plans for this one (if you don't mind). I know you don't give out trade secrets but i wouldn't mind comparing notes.

Well full disclosure is in order I suppose Chad, I actually bottled this a couple of days ago, during August, so it got included in Hawaiian month on a technicality. It tastes great out of the fermentor but I wont know until next month how it stands up out of the bottle. I\u2019ll try and send you my recipe but I don\u2019t think the email links work \u2013 I don\u2019t like to post recipes on the site until I know for sure they are good. If the email doesn\u2019t work maybe I\u2019ll break my rules and just post the recipe...[rightful]

my mate bought a massive bag of Magnums from Ellerslie hop - they sell direct. I will try to find out how much it was. It must be about 500g I reckon.

lol when you say a "massive amount" I was thinking more like 5kg or something. Sorry just had to chuckle [ninja]

Hey Muddy,

I think I can wait a month to hear the tail of the tape on the Island Hopper. I am glad to hear yours is tasting good out of the fermenter.

My attempts frankly taste like shite![annoyed]. Way to citrusy in flavour. I used for my 1st attempt 28g of magnum 11.3% @ 30min + 20g perle @ 28mins for bittering and 42g Cascade @ 5mins+ 42g Cascade @ F-out. Way too much flavour with the only a 30min boil for bittering I think[pinched] .

Archived