Coopers Community

Bulk Priming

Mainiac

I am using the Coopers DIY kit. Last time i just used the priming pellets and it worked ok.

This time I am using different size bottles so I was going to bulk prime in the PF.

I think the SF may have come out of necessity since glass carboys need to be siphoned.

It seems to me this is just another chance of contamination.

Has anyone here actually tried it before?

PS John Palmer says it will work in his book.

I would not Bulk Prime in Primary, use a second drum type and rack your beer onto it to mix it in.

IM a bit confused as you say you are using the DIY and a carboy?

If using the carboy then rack into the DIY Drum, if the other way round then Id be looking at a second drum purchase... they can be fairly cheap from camping places or bunnings type stores etc.

Yob

+1

The only reason I didn't bulk prime from the start was because I only had one fermenter. When I got my second one I started bulk priming my batches and haven't looked back. I find it gives you more flexibility with carbonation levels to suit your taste and/or different styles of beer. For my ales I normally prime at less than the rate that drops would, and I've found it gives it a real nice creamy head [biggrin] And you don't have to worry about the bottle sizes either!

But yes, I would get a 2nd fermenter to do it. Or something similar to one.

Cheers,

Kelsey

I made a bottling bucket out of an ale pale & an Italian spigot. It's the common red & white one with a recess on the spout that excepts a 3/8" tube that connects to a bottling wand to fill bottles with. Just use a priming calculator like this on to get the amount of sugar by weight; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Get a cheap digital scale for weighing the amount given by the calculator. Dissolve it in 1-2 cups boiled water & allow to cool a bit. Then start racking beer into bottling bucket & pour priming solution gently into surface of beer.

Archived