Coopers Community

The Outlaw Parrot

Outlaw Parrot

Hello all,

I am a 41yr old dad from Campbelltown,NSW.

I have a very wide range of interests and hobbies, from this new hobby(brewing)to, Exotic Parrot breeding, Playing Guitar,Harleys, Building Custom High End PC's and more.

I work as a Mechanical Engineer, but on compo at present due to a serious back injury.

I have just mixed my first Coopers Pale Ale Brew.

I have brewed twice before, years ago when my dad used the open bucket in the laundry method, my dads beer tasted like sh#t [lol]

I really like my high alcohol beers, such as Coopers Sparkling Ale, Coopers Extra Stout and Elephant Beer. I only made Pale Ale this time, cause thats what came in the kit [roll]

I am looking forward to brewing some excellent quality home beer and keeping the (beer tax) government out of my pockets [devil]

Cheers,

Outlaw Parrot

Welcome! This is a hobby you won't regret taking up.

I don't know how much reading and other research you've done before starting, but here are a few points every new brewer should take to heart as soon as possible:

1) ALWAYS sanitize all equipment thoroughly. Cut no corners. Anything that touches your beer should be sanitized.

2) Disregard the temperature instructions provided with kits. If possible, try keep your ales brewing at 18-20 degrees C. This will result in a cleaner tasting beer as higher temperatures promote the production of esters, a by-product of the fermentation process.

3) Give your brew time. Two weeks in the fermenting vessel before bottling is a good rule of thumb, even if the fermentation has finished after a week. This will give the yeast time to sort of clean up after itself and make the brew clearer at bottling time. Once again, the result will be a cleaner tasting beer.

4) Minimize the use of sugars and use dry malt extract or liquid malt extract instead. This will result in more flavor and less by-products.

And, most importantly, have fun and experiment. That's really what this is all about. And read about brewing as much as possible. You can never know too much. [cool]

Right on' date=' Outlaw! Welcome to the Guild and the new habit. I mean hobby.[joyful']

Thanks Canadian, i've had a beer habit for some time now [lol]

Welcome! This is a hobby you won't regret taking up.

1) ALWAYS sanitize all equipment.Cut no corners.have fun and experiment.You can never know too much. [cool]

Hey Jimmy,

I know i'm not goning to regret this one bit [wink]

I won't have a prob with sanitation, handraising expensive parrot chicks has given me a head start there [biggrin]

I am an adventurous fellow, so experimentation is definately on the cards [lol]

I am wise enough to know you never stop learning, when i stop learning and taking on new hobbies and ventures, i will be dead [lol]

Welcome Outlaw!

It is lucky you aren't working or you wouldn't have enough time for your hobbies [biggrin]

Good luck with it all and let us know how you go.

Hey Hairy,

I intend to expand a little with my parrots, i make good coin and could easily live off them [wink] Then i won't have to go back to the grindstone(work) [biggrin]

I will surely let you know how it goes and be asking a few Q's [cool]

Welcome Outlaw - or Mr Parrot.

As Jimmy said, reading up is good - you can astound guests at parties with your phenomenal knowledge of beer. OR bore the bejesus out of them [biggrin]

Hey Adam,

I already bore the hell out of some of my friends when i get yacking on my parrots [lol] so i'll just pee em right off now and get onto brewing after the parrots [lol]

You can call me whatever you like, just don't call me late when ya crack the KEG [lol]

welcome parrot, this place will set you straight.

you should check out the very informative thread about Saunder's malt extract, facinating stuff...

Hiya Lord,

I will get the basics first then i'll be getting right into it [wink]

Thanks to all for your replies [biggrin]

I have made a brewery called the "Outlaw Parrot Chapter", i think it's on the map, in the town i live, if it worked [cool]

It is Friday arvo, 4:53pm here, so we all know that is BEER TIME, excuse me but i must consume more than my fair share of beer [lol]

Cheers,

Parrot

I'm a bit late seeing this thread but welcome to the forum Parrot [biggrin]

If you like Coopers Best Extra you should try the following recipe as it turns out a great approximation of the dark nectar - easy to make and you can get the ingredients at the supermarket.

Coopers Best Extra Stout

1 Can of Cooper's Dark Ale

1 Can of Cooper's Stout

1kg Dextrose

Both kit yeasts and made to 23L

Put it away for a year and it is gold...black gold [biggrin]

Hey Parrot' date=' I think you have just set a new record for the most emoticons/smileys used in a single post. [biggrin'] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Good start! [rightful] [rightful]

Hiya Hairy,

What can i say, i'm an emoticon bloke [lol]

Cheers,

Parrot

I'm a bit late seeing this thread but welcome to the forum Parrot [biggrin]

If you like Coopers Best Extra you should try the following recipe as it turns out a great approximation of the dark nectar - easy to make and you can get the ingredients at the supermarket.

Coopers Best Extra Stout

1 Can of Cooper's Dark Ale

1 Can of Cooper's Stout

1kg Dextrose

Both kit yeasts and made to 23L

Put it away for a year and it is gold...black gold [biggrin]

Hi Muddy,

Thank you and thank you for the recipe recommendation, i will have to try that one, Coopers is the only "stout" i like.

Cheers,

Parrot

ooooze a lucky boy then

caaaaark!!

[lol]

Welcome to the game mate!!

Hey Yob,

Thanks mate.

I'm not that lucky though, i have worked hard, struggled and sacrificed to achieve what and where i am today, nothing to do with luck i'm afraid, the only luck i get is all bad [lol]

Cheers,

Parrot

+1 to the recipe Muddy posted. I have had this in a keg now since January and can taste the definite improvements over time.

Hi Bill,

I don't need any extra encoragement, my Mrs saw my kit yesterday and promptly asked if that meant i would be drinking more [lol] [lol] [lol]

I will definealty be giving the stout a shot though.

Cheers,

Parrot

Archived