Coopers Community

Diacetyl rest

GrahamB8

I have only made a couple of lagers which turned out great. I start mine a little lower then yours (1.016ish from memory) and leave it at 16C for roughly a week before cooling it right down.

Did you detect diacetyl in your samples as I only ever do this if I detect diacetyl before I keg.

Based on a bit of Googling I started mine at 1.020 gravity & 16\xb0c' date=' what do you guys think??[/quote']

Mine was pretty similar. How long will you keep it there?

From memory I think I left it there for 3-4 days.

Is there anywhere here about how to ferment a lager from start to finish. I intend to use coopers lager concentrate, saf yeast and brew enhancer no1. I understand fermenting at low temps but from there on it's goodnight Irene. I see you guys are talking about lagering that's why I ask you here on this thread. Happy to take it elsewhere if that's the requirements. [kissing]

Funnily enough I dont detect Diacetyl but to be honest but Im not 100% sure if I could, the sample at 1.02 is sulphery, very clean after taste but still slightly sweet, so due to being a lager novice I couldnt say.

I was going to leave for two days then recheck the gravity and only then will I drop her to 1\xb0 or so for 6-8 weeks lagering. Another reason I want to make sure I do eliminate Diacetyl due to the time and effort involved in this particular brew.

Makes plenty of sense. I don't think it would make any difference to raise the temperature if you don't detect it, good to be safe rather then sorry.

Benny,

When I brew my lagers I start of the same as I would with an Ale. I mix the recipe together (with the aim of hitting around 12 - 15C).

I then add my yeast and put into the fermenting fridge (set to 10C) and let it sit there a week and a half (or until roughly 1.018) has been reached and then i test for diacetyl (I taste and look for a buttery taste to the beer). If detected I raise the temperature to 16C and leave for a week. If I don't detect it I ferment out as normal.

After the Diacetyl rest (raised the temperature to 16) I wait until the beer is finished fermenting.

I normally keg and lager in the keg from here on. I keg the beer and store it at 2C for over a month before I even look at drinking it.

I haven't had any issues this way but I don't know if I am 100% correct as I don't brew many lagers.

a week and a half (or until roughly 1.018.

Im glad you said this because after 1 week I was still sitting at 1.028 and started to panic because I had only made a 2L starter, over the next half a week I had only shaved off another 8 points

Yeah I have noticed that the fermentation of a lager takes a lot longer then an ale. I have even had the beer in the fermenter for up to 3 weeks with it still fermenting.

Strangely enough I have never had a large issue with diacetyl either. I think the yeast that I use (Saflager) must be a bit tolerant to it.

Archived