Coopers Community

Squeezing the grain bag?

Jimmy

Hello there, gentlemen.

What is the consensus here on giving your specialty grains a squeeze after sparging? I find letting them drain on their own to be painfully slow and the end result incomplete, so it's very hard to resist manually aiding the process. John Palmer's instructions say to squeeze the bag, but I've read elsewhere that squeezing may impart some unwanted flavors from the grains. Is this true? Thoughts? Experiences?

I,d listen/believe to the words of John Palmer. I too have read the same things as you have Jimmy but the erge has got the better of me. Although the words of John have put for my mind at rest and I go for a squeeze....as for the rest of you guy's get your mind out of the gutter[lol]

I have read a lot of conflicting views on this.

Some say that squeezing the bag will extract tannins and others say that tannin extraction is mainly caused by temperature and PH rather than squeezing.

One thing I have noticed in other forums is that for most people that squeeze, they haven't noticed any astringency.

I don't bother squeezing specialty grains. Not for any technical reason, I just couldn't be stuffed.

Squeeze away if it pleases you [joyful] if you do extract tanins in those quantities I doubt you would notice.

I dont bother with a bag and sparge through a sieve, I cant help thinking Im leaving something behind with a bag (which is nonsence I know), Im the same with hops unless im using large quantities, the bag is out!

I am the same as Graham. If just doing specialty grains I don't use a bag. I sparge through a sieve and have never had any problems.

However..... when I am doing AG (I BIAB) I squeeze the bejesus out of it and have never had any problems. Put that in perspective and I am squeezing around 6kg grain compared to 200g-500g and no problems here.

Another way instead of squeezing is to shake the bag. It will drain quicker if you don't want to squeeze.

you "could" always "tea Bag" it...

and then do the same with the grain bag [whistling

When doing Grain additions to Kits, I had a pot in a pot system and used a fridge rack to support the grain pot and then sparged through a sieve. No to Squeezing.. Its a pain in the sphincter.

Yob

Some say that squeezing the bag will extract tannins and others say that tannin extraction is mainly caused by temperature and PH rather than squeezing.

My logic tends to agree with the latter notion. I'd think whatever there is to be extracted has already been extracted by the hot water. It's reassuring to see people haven't had issues with squeezing the grains, so thank you all. I'm just too impatient to let the damn thing drip for minutes on end; I need to speed up the process by pressing down on the grains with my stirring spoon. That way I can also be sure that the stuff is drained as well as can be.

And thank you, Yob, but I'd rather keep my testicles away from steaming hot liquids.

Archived