Coopers Community

Brew Mate and Kits

Coxy

I've been having a bit of a play with Brew Mate, and I think I have a fair idea of how things work.

But I'm just wondering how to handle using kits? Obviously it doesn't have all the kits in there, so I gather you'd need some details about what's in them to put the raw data in (eg, malt extracts, hops etc).

So, am I missing something? Is there a database out there which has estimates of what's in various kits (Because I imagine Coopers et al keep the actual recipes of their kits secret)?

And I do apologise if there's a thread about this, I couldn't find it with my rudimentary level of Googlology.

Ianh's Kit and Extract Designer spread sheet is pretty good for this kinda thing. It's also located on the same forum as above. Google search will get you where you need to be. Make sure to grab the latest version, though [cool]

I haven't used Brewmate but I have done it in Beersmith.

I just created a Light Liquid Malt category and manually adjusted the IBU and EBC based on the info in here:

Brew Cans

I figured I would get close enough for what I needed.

EDIT: I have just read Gavin's post (#2). Damn, that would have saved me some time if I had seen that before. [pinched]

yep, the best thing imo for working out your kits is ianh's spreadsheet. Everything is already there for you. If however, you need the info on the kits, you could always disect Ian's spreadsheet but why bother?

I can never get the spreadsheets to work properly, I don't have excel and in microsoft works they seem to load with a heap of errors and I have troubles using them. Not just Ians.. I have tried many over the years. Does everyone use Excel or is there a free program that will work? I use Beersmith 2.

....Muddy' date=' I just read your tag line...you bloody idiot...[lol'] [lol] [lol]

[biggrin]

Does everyone use Excel or is there a free program that will work?

Yes, you'll need excel and preferably PC. I'm a mac user so there are some limitations to using the spreadsheet (some of the macros, saving recipes etc.) but with an Excel/PC combo it is the duck's nuts.

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't get it to work in Open Office last time I tried - I'll check your link out Adam.

EDIT: Just checked the link and I think I used your info last time I tried but couldn't get it to work to an acceptable level - maybe the mac - open office combo isn't a good one.

There is, somewhere on AHB a package with all the kits that you can add... I saw it but couldnt be assed with it at the time..

Sorry I cant be of more help than that but a bit of time... and a decent search function should get you there..

Yob

Archived