Coopers Community

Do hard clumps of LDM devolve during fermentation? Czech Pils problem

GlenH11

Hi, this is my first post.

Just made up my Czech Pils as per the instructions and although I used the swirl method for the LDM hard clumps still formed.

This is my fifth batch and I have not had this problem before with LDM. I am assuming the problem happened due to the 1KG of LDM rather then 500g, is this correct?

Do hard clumps of LDM devolve during fermentation?

I had a bit of trouble getting rid of all the lumps too. Got an OG of 1.042. Sounds about right, probably a bit low given some of the lumps.

Just put it into the brew fridge. Got a starting temp of about 16 degrees.

Smells so awesome! [love]

That's why I desolve the DME (what we call it-Dry Malt Extract)in the boiling water in the brew kettle. You have to keep stirring till it disolves. Easier in boiling water than in the FV. Plus,with the DME in the BK,you can do flavor hop additions the last 20 minutes,tops. Then at flame out,you add the remaining DME & Cooper's can(s). I make a lot of good ales with Cooper's OS cans this way. Fun,easy,& tasty! I do believe in Cooper's products,despite what many of my fellow brewers say stateside.

I've been promoting Cooper's through example up here to show how to get great ales from them. Including my rendition of the #3 Burton ale of the mid 1890's. Sold to you folks in colonial times as Australian ale. I think I have a couple of recipes listed if anyone wants an example...

When doing kits I have always put the LDM and any other sugars in first then a couple of litres of boiling water and imediately pick the FV up and swirl it around until the sugars disolve. I've never had a problem this way.

If you get lumps in the FV it really isn't anything to worry about. As previously mentioned, the Yeast will still love it. The only thing to note would likely be an incorrect OG reading.

When doing kits I have always put the LDM and any other sugars in first then a couple of litres of boiling water and imediately pick the FV up and swirl it around until the sugars disolve. I've never had a problem this way

Same, but this is the first time I've used a full kg. Plus I did notice when I poured it in there was some residual dampness from the starsan in the bottom of my FV. So I suspect it might've started doing some clumping prior to adding the boiling water.

I only had some small lumps.

Not at all worried about it.

• 3 weeks later...

I boil water on the stove allow it to cool to a simmer, add the concentrate, allow it to simmer whilst stirring, add the 1kg of whatever sugars stirring continuously until it just reaches a simmer then flame out. I was advised too long on the flame and it can caramelise the sugars, Add it to the FV, top with cold filtered, boiled water to the desired litreage and add the yeast. Can any one advise if this method has faults. First brew went really well, have another one cooking (in the fermenter, my own terminology) and has been for 6 days. Like hearing other methods makes me able to adjust my ways as a complete NOOB!. [lol]

I don't know who advised you that too long on the flame and it can caramelise the sugars. lol, maybe if they boil so long that it considerably reduces the wort or the sugars are stuck on the bottom of the pot. This obviously doesn't happen when doing an AG brew where the wort is boiled for at least 60 minutes!

You are in Victoria so no need to boil the water to add to the FV and in fact I would advise otherwise. This is because boiling the water removes the O2 in the water and O2 is something the Yeast needs to survive the first stages of fermentation.

Anyway, this is my opinion and as always I am open for scrutiny [rightful]

Archived